Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Happened Again!  (Read 1917 times)

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Happened Again!
« on: December 29, 2012, 12:16:55 pm »
I posted a few weeks ago about an Ale that had a lower FG in a bucket than in a Better Bottle.  Same yeast, 10G split batch, all things equal.  It was chalked up to stratification during the transfer from kettle to fermenter since I filled the bucket first. 

Well, it just happened again, this time with a German Lager.  I don't remember which I filled first, but now I am wondering if there was more pressure in the headspace of the BB causing it to retain some CO2 and having that effect the hydrometer reading.  I did see some bubbles in the BB sample and none at all in the bucket sample.

Thoughts on this?

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Happened Again!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 07:47:11 pm »
How big was the difference?  How are you aerating them?
Tom Schmidlin

narvin

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 08:23:31 pm »
How are you measuring the gravity? You should degass before taking a hydrometer reading by pouring back and forth between two glasses repeatedly.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 05:10:10 pm »
How big was the difference?  How are you aerating them?

1.012 versus 1.008.  Using a mix-stir on my cordless drill on the full 10G for 2-3 minutes.  Lot's o foam when done.
Dave Zach

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 05:13:44 pm »
How are you measuring the gravity? You should degass before taking a hydrometer reading by pouring back and forth between two glasses repeatedly.

Hydrometer and agreed.  I normally degass but I measured the bucket batch first (no bubbles), then the BB.  I saw the bubbles but didn't degass as I was in a rush to get out.

Dave Zach