Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Combination of hops to create an "orange" flavor  (Read 17458 times)

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
Combination of hops to create an "orange" flavor
« on: December 29, 2012, 03:17:45 pm »
I am planning on brewing an APA next week.  I am trying to come up with a blend of hops to be more "orange/citrus" than pine or grapefuit, passionfruit, etc.  Going to hop burst it late.

Hops that I know give an "orange" type flavor from experience and reading various hop profiles are:

Amarillo
Cascade (probably more grapefuit?)
Summit (orange/tangerine, hoping to avoid the garlic/BO/Onion)
Motueka
Pacific Jade

Tenatively planning on using a 2:1:1 ratio of Amarillo:Cascade:Summit, but could possibly substitute one of the NZ varieties. 

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks,
Brian

EDIT:  I will also be adding some fresh orange zest at 5min before flameout.  Probably 2-3 oranges?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 03:45:00 pm by hoser »

Offline greatplainsbrewer

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Combination of hops to create an "orange" flavor
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 03:31:10 pm »
I get quite a bit of orange from NB's surly bitter brewer clone.  IIRC it has a 2.5 oz dry hop with glacier.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 07:23:42 pm »
I find summit to be oniony - I wouldn't use it.  If you like it though, have at it.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 08:02:24 pm »
It has been said that the Bells house yeast is responsible for the orange flavor in Oberon. I might agree with that, but have never tried to do an Oberon. It is a fruity yeast.

Just wanted to say that yeast is something to consider.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 08:09:09 pm »
The effect of the yeast has crossed my mind.  Not enough time to culture and propogate yeast from a Bell's bottle.  Thinking of using WY 1272 American Ale II...

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 09:31:15 pm »
The only hop that gives me an unmistakable, dominant orange flavor/aroma is Summit. Unfortunately, I haven't figured out how to get the orange without the garlic/onion/asiago. If you want a big orange flavor in your beer, and I'd definitely go with some zest.

If I were hopping an orange beer I'd probably go with Amarillo and Glacier in the boil and use them with a small amount of Summit in the dry hops.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 07:09:28 am »
I remembered this link from Nathan Smith's destroy.net site/rate beer..

http://www.ratebeer.com/Beer-News/Article-482-1.htm

It looks like the strongest orange from the experiment are as follows:

1. Ahtanum
2. Simcoe
3. Glacier

So maybe 2 parts Amarillo, 1 part Ahtanum, 1 part Pacific Jade?

I do have some ideas on how to avoid summit's "savory" attributes, but maybe I'll save that for another time.  Obviously some of this is also based on the quality of summit at harvest and out of the brewer's control.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 07:16:28 am by hoser »

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 08:13:55 am »
K-97 yeast gives an orange flavor. Some tasters in my decoction experiment described it as "orange marmalade."
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Combination of hops to create an "orange" flavor
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 08:35:11 am »
Coriander is what gives Wit much of its orange character. I'vE heard to be wary of the store bought stuff though and find plump indian varieties.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 09:36:27 am by majorvices »

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 09:21:43 am »
Warrior hops have an orange character I think.  That and Amarillo.  I don't get orange from Glacier really.  More of a super-mild peach flavor, but it is slight.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 10:00:17 am »
Coriander is what gives Wit much of its orange character. I'vE heard to be wary of the store bought stuff though and find plump indian varieties.

I've heard if you briefly dry roast the coriander, in a pan, that takes some of the chlorophyll edge off of it. I haven't verified that, though. I also read in the Hops book that coriander needs to be fermented to display certain citrus flavors. So adding in the keg won't work as well as a flameout addition.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 03:00:54 pm »

I've heard if you briefly dry roast the coriander, in a pan, that takes some of the chlorophyll edge off of it. I haven't verified that, though. I also read in the Hops book that coriander needs to be fermented to display certain citrus flavors. So adding in the keg won't work as well as a flameout addition.
That's interesting - coriander smells really citrusy to me when I grind it.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 03:28:10 pm »

Yep, I agree.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 03:31:49 pm »

Yep, I agree.

Me, too.  I sometimes add it in the keg for more citrusy aromas.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 04:31:03 pm »
Well, maybe I shouldn't have said "won't work as well," what I meant was "will be different."

The passage in the Hops book talks about a study of beer brewed with coriander compared to beer with Citra hops. Both had a lot of geraniol and linalool, but neither had citronellol. In both beers, the geraniol was converted to citronellol, and tasters perceived the beers as similar. "The results suggested the importance of citronellol and an excess of linalool in the hop-derived citrus flavor of beer, but because there was little citronellol in raw hops, the generation of citronellol depended on the geraniol metabolism by yeast."