General Category > Ingredients

Combination of hops to create an "orange" flavor

<< < (5/6) > >>

erockrph:

--- Quote from: ccfoo242 on December 31, 2012, 08:08:05 AM ---You may also want to consider mashing higher to keep some sweetness in the beer. This might help fool the palette into thinking it's tasting orange instead of grapefruit or other bitter citrus.

*Sent from the future using Tapatalk Quantum Edition*

--- End quote ---

That's a real good point. Maybe go with some darker crystal malt in the 60-80 range too to leave a hint of caramel.

Wesbrau:
Amarillo

nateo:
Wait, is there a reason you don't just, you know, use oranges?

hoser:

--- Quote from: nateo on December 31, 2012, 06:43:26 PM ---Wait, is there a reason you don't just, you know, use oranges?

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: hoser on December 29, 2012, 03:17:45 PM ---I am planning on brewing an APA next week.  I am trying to come up with a blend of hops to be more "orange/citrus" than pine or grapefuit, passionfruit, etc.  Going to hop burst it late.

Hops that I know give an "orange" type flavor from experience and reading various hop profiles are:

Amarillo
Cascade (probably more grapefuit?)
Summit (orange/tangerine, hoping to avoid the garlic/BO/Onion)
Motueka
Pacific Jade

Tenatively planning on using a 2:1:1 ratio of Amarillo:Cascade:Summit, but could possibly substitute one of the NZ varieties. 

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks,
Brian

EDIT:  I will also be adding some fresh orange zest at 5min before flameout.  Probably 2-3 oranges?

--- End quote ---

I am. I would just like to compliment it with the hops.....

Besides, where is the challenge in just using oranges/zest with all the wonderful hop flavors available to us as brewers today?  I mean, we can use Belma hops to create a strawberry-flavored beer.

http://www.bear-flavored.com/2012/12/recipe-and-tasting-notes-belma-single.html

So, in theory we should be able to do the same with creating an orange flavor, no? Grapefruit isn't that far from oranges.  In theory, I would like to create a "fruit" beer without adding "fruit" if I don't have too.

reverseapachemaster:
Styrian Goldings have some orange aroma without some of the less desirable notes of Summit although it isn't as much in your face with the orange.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version