General Category > Kegging and Bottling

Carbonation quandry

<< < (3/3)

hubie:

--- Quote from: dmtaylor on January 03, 2013, 10:41:08 AM ---80% by volume, for sure.  Not sure about weight.  And the 80% is just a swag.  Maybe it really is more like 87%.  It's somewhere in there.

--- End quote ---

The 87-percent calculation is certainly only applicable for weight.  I could convince myself it would be less by volume since corn sugar can be fluffy.  That being said, my guess would be that unless you're shooting for really high or low carbonation levels, short of doing a side-by-side one wouldn't notice a 10-percent difference in carbonation levels anyway.

Jimmy K:

--- Quote from: hubie on January 03, 2013, 10:21:02 AM ---This all assumes that the sugars are 100-percent fermented, which is a pretty good assumption, but you can see that when you move to other priming agents (DME, LME, brown sugar, molasses, etc.) you start to get more hand-wavy because now each of your grams of priming agent has more and more unknown unfermentables in them (water content, probably the biggest).

--- End quote ---
For using liquids to prime (I've used apple juice concentrate and maple syrup) I've had luck using the nutrition chart to get grams of sugar / serving and multiplying to get the amount needed for priming (eg. if 1tbsp has 20 grams sugar and I want 5oz of priming sugar (140 grams) then I use 7 tablespoons to prime)

Interesting about the different CO2 volumes from different sugars. I had no idea. I'd agree the 10% might not be noticed, especially if you don't have tight control over the amount of CO2 already dissolved in the beer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version