General Category > All Grain Brewing

Hockhurz Step Mash: Check my Process

(1/4) > >>

blatz:
Hey guys,

I did a Hockhurz decoction mash a few years ago, but it was on a friend's system and I didn't take good notes as it wasn't my brew.

I want to attempt a step mash Hockhurz on my next brew session, a vienna lager.

I have read through Kai's blog again, but I want to double check the specifics with you guys:

Mash in at 145 and hold for 30 min (beta)

Ramp up (via HERMs) to 158 <--- this will probably take about 20 min to do so.

Hold at 158 for 45 min (alpha)

Ramp up to Mashout.

Am I missing anything?  Is the alpha rest too high (or too low).  Are my times too long?

beersk:
That looks just how I've done Hockhurz decoction.  Looks right as far as I know...I don't think the mashout at 168 is to be held for any prolonged period of time.

blatz:

--- Quote from: beersk on January 02, 2013, 08:29:48 AM ---That looks just how I've done Hockhurz decoction.  Looks right as far as I know...I don't think the mashout at 168 is to be held for any prolonged period of time.

--- End quote ---

cool

I generally don't hold the mashout for more than a few minutes anyways unless I'm not paying attention. 

davidgzach:
Blatz,

My Hochkurz is competely different, you are way off.  I go 146 to 158..... ;D

Looks good!  Good luck!

Dave

blatz:
welp, Beersmith miscalculated I guess and I ended up settling in at 149 - added ice and dropped it to 145 which took about 7 minutes, then let it rest for 20 before I started ramping up to 158. 

I debated for a minute about whether I should have just scrapped the hockhurz and go single infusion since I screwed the pooch on the strike in, but I really wanted to try it, so hopefully, I get at least some semblance of what it will be like.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version