General Category > All Grain Brewing

Hockhurz Step Mash: Check my Process

<< < (2/4) > >>

davidgzach:
Not perfect but you should still get the idea.....I'm sure it will still be tasty!

Dave

Thirsty_Monk:
I do step mash and anywhere from 140-144F for Beta and 158-162 for alpha is fine. The mash out should not go over 172F.
Look at it that is is more "robust" mashing then singe infusion.

I am sure it will be just fine Paul.

AmandaK:
I also just did my first Hochkurz mash on a Munich Dunkel. I nearly forgot that I wanted to do it (old habits), got the strike water up to temp for a 154* mash in and then realized that I was forgetting something. A few adjustments later and I mashed in at 144.9*, held for 30ish minutes (forgot to set the timer), my heat stick worked beautifully and brought is up to 158.3* within 15 minutes, rested for 45', then brought it up to 168.7* for mash out.

I got great efficiency too: 88%.

Something I was reading on Kai's wiki got me wondering though (http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Starch_Conversion):

--- Quote ---In multi step saccharification rests like the German Hochkurz mash, the fermentability is mostly controlled through the length of the maltose rest which is held at 60-64 C (140-148F).
--- End quote ---

I would assume that most of us are doing 30 minute maltose rests... how much time would really be added on to increase fermentability?

Pawtucket Patriot:
When I used to do Hochkurz decoctions, I would vary the maltose rest between 20-40 minutes depending on the fermentability profile I was going for.  On a german pilsner, I would do something like a 20-30 minute rest, while on a dunkel, I would shoot for more like a 40-minute maltose rest. I also varied the maltose rest temperature to further manipulate the fermentability.

AmandaK:

--- Quote from: Pawtucket Patriot on January 20, 2013, 07:23:49 AM ---When I used to do Hochkurz decoctions, I would vary the maltose rest between 20-40 minutes depending on the fermentability profile I was going for.  On a german pilsner, I would do something like a 20-30 minute rest, while on a dunkel, I would shoot for more like a 40-minute maltose rest. I also varied the maltose rest temperature to further manipulate the fermentability.

--- End quote ---

I thought a longer maltose rest would increase fermentability? Have I had this backwards the whole time?

Either way, thanks for the response! It'll give me something to play with.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version