Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: PC help - dern wifi won't work  (Read 8116 times)

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
PC help - dern wifi won't work
« on: January 02, 2013, 10:27:22 am »
Have had nothing but problems with the HP laptop since I got it. Not the wifi suddenly is not working. Looked at troule shooting guide, followed all steps. Nothing.

I'm a Mac guy so I can usually solve issues on macs no problem but I'm not sure if I am missing something here or what. Any suggestions?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: PC help - dern wifi won't work
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 10:31:04 am »
This may seem obvious (sorry) but on my wife's computer the wifi button was on the front of the laptop and she had bumped it, physically turning off the wifi (as opposed to some mouse clicking to turn it off).  On mine it is a key on the keyboard that I sometimes hit by accident.  You might look to see if there is a button or switch that got moved.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 11:05:43 am »
Yeah...what Tom said.  Dell in their infinite wisdom made a change to some of their laptops where you had to press the FN key when you want to use F1, F2, etc functions.  And of course, the F2 key, which is what most programs use as edit, just happened to be the wireless toggle.  That one pissed my off for a while.

The newer laptops we have are now back to normal ( i.e. you want F2, press F2 ).

Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 11:05:58 am »
I also have an hp and I'm constantly brushing my finger over the wifi button. Not even a button. Looks like a light.

*Sent from the future using Tapatalk Quantum Edition*

Intra cervisiam est deus.

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 11:30:50 am »
I wish it was that dang simple, but I turned it off and on a few times and it is still not working. As a matter of fact nothing seems to be working. I can't even run a system restore now!!! I hate Windows!!!!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 12:06:15 pm »
Is it windows 8?  I'm not as familiar with it.  I assume you are sure it is the computer and not the router itself?

It's really hard to diagnose remotely, but here are some things I would look at:
Does the wireless turn on at all (can it see signals) - if it can't see signals and the card is not off (either with a switch or a setting), then I would assume the card is bad.

If it turns on but can't connect, are the security settings right?  I would start by turning off security on the router and see if that fixes the problem.

If this is new, what kind of warranty does it have and where did you buy it?  Do they provide any customer service?

Sorry man, that sucks.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline anje

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lafayette, IN
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 01:04:40 pm »
Is it windows 8?  I'm not as familiar with it.  I assume you are sure it is the computer and not the router itself?
On a related note, make sure you don't have a MAC address filter on your router that's preventing you from connecting.
<-- microbiologist brewster n00b.

Hops and toothpaste don't mix.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 02:43:17 pm »
I recently had to reinstall the router OS wich was easy. My wifi problems went away.

And if you despise windows then look into linux- I use ubuntu.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 03:57:06 pm »
I had a problem with my HP laptop. Turned out I needed an updated driver for my wifi card. The auto-update didn't work, like if you go into the device manager, then click on the "update drivers" button. I had to download the driver manually.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 04:15:38 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions.

It's widows PoS 7. There are all kinds of problems, suddenly. I got it at Costco about 6 months ago. Probably just back up everything I have and take this PoS back. Nothing but problems since day one. Gotta go back to Mac as soon as I can afford it. I don't know how you PC guys do it.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 04:46:09 pm »
PCs aren't that bad, necessarily. I had an IBM/Lenovo that was awesome. My wife's netbook hasn't had any issues either. I've had a few problems with the HP, but nothing major. It might just be that brand.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 04:59:38 pm »
I don't have problems with windows.  Or maybe I do and just don't realize it because I don't use macs. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 05:03:23 pm »
Have you tried to connect to different WiFi than your one at home?

You may also try deleting your saved Wifi info for your network and reconnecting.  Sometimes your saved network info can get corrupted, causing connection failures.  You can do this by:

Start button/ Control Panel/ Network and Internet/ Network and Sharing Center
On the left, click "Manage Wireless Networks"
Right click your home network and select "Remove Network"
Then try to reconnect to your wirless network and re-enter your password.

Also, if you can plug your laptop into your router via the LAN connection and get internet connection, I could remotely connect to your system if you like and troubleshoot your system for you.

Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2013, 05:05:22 pm »
I'm a Mac fan too, however, if there was no Windows than I wouldn't have a job ;D
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 05:46:43 pm »
Have you tried to connect to different WiFi than your one at home?

You may also try deleting your saved Wifi info for your network and reconnecting.  Sometimes your saved network info can get corrupted, causing connection failures.  You can do this by:

Start button/ Control Panel/ Network and Internet/ Network and Sharing Center
On the left, click "Manage Wireless Networks"
Right click your home network and select "Remove Network"
Then try to reconnect to your wirless network and re-enter your password.

Also, if you can plug your laptop into your router via the LAN connection and get internet connection, I could remotely connect to your system if you like and troubleshoot your system for you.

No, I have not. I will take it into work tomorrow and try it. I will also try deleting my saved Wifi network. Thanks for the suggestion!