Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: PC help - dern wifi won't work  (Read 8071 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: PC help - dern wifi won't work
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 06:16:31 pm »
Have you tried to connect to different WiFi than your one at home?

You may also try deleting your saved Wifi info for your network and reconnecting.  Sometimes your saved network info can get corrupted, causing connection failures.  You can do this by:

Start button/ Control Panel/ Network and Internet/ Network and Sharing Center
On the left, click "Manage Wireless Networks"
Right click your home network and select "Remove Network"
Then try to reconnect to your wirless network and re-enter your password.

Also, if you can plug your laptop into your router via the LAN connection and get internet connection, I could remotely connect to your system if you like and troubleshoot your system for you.

No, I have not. I will take it into work tomorrow and try it. I will also try deleting my saved Wifi network. Thanks for the suggestion!
And another thought - sometimes when my laptop won't connect to the wireless it's some problem with the router - rebooting the router fixes it.

I don't know if it is my computer or the router, but for some reason my router shows up with 7 different names.  <network>, <network> 2, <network> 2 3, . . . <network> 2 3 4 5 6 7

Spaces in between the numbers and everything, just like that.  Very strange.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
PC help - dern wifi won't work
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2013, 06:56:05 pm »
Shouldn't be the router since I am surfing now on my iPad on the same router. That said, I have restarted the router several times today.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2013, 07:08:08 pm »
Hey Tom,  log into your router and check your wireless settings.  Some routers have the ability to list multiple SSIDs and if you used the automatic setup, sometimes the router will go ahead and name/list multiple SSIDs for your wireless network.  Do you have other wireless devices and if so does multiple SSIDs for your network show up?
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2013, 09:30:35 pm »
It's possible that's what's going on.  The other wireless stuff varies - sometimes it shows up as more than one on my wife's, but never as many as seven.  The TV box I don't know, it doesn't actually show a connection available, you have to enter it manually.

I do know that it didn't start out that way, it's been slowly adding them over time.  I can't be bothered to go check though, it works as is. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 01:33:57 am »
In the lower-right corner you'll see your wireless status icon. It looks like a little staircase. What do you see? Is it simply a staircase that's all white? Clear with a red X? A little yellow sunshine in the middle? This will help determine where the problem lies.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, 05:18:05 am »
clear with red X. it tries to find the signal with a spinning silver circle and then does nothing.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2013, 05:32:56 am »
Tried to remove saved wifi network but "manage networks" on left was not there. Probably send the computer in with wife and let here IT guys look at it.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2013, 06:57:20 am »
Major, try this to reset your home wireless connection on your laptop:

1. Click on the wireless icon in your system tray next to your time.  This will bring up all your wireless signals available to you and show you your home network.

2.  Right click on your home network and select properties

3.  In the network properties window that pops up, select the "Security" tab

4.  Change Security Type to "No Authentication (Open)"

5.  Change Encryption Type to "None" and hit OK

This will basically change and erase the saved network info for your home network on your laptop.

Now go back down to your system tray, click on your wireless icon, select your home network and click connect.  It will connect to your network (you may have to enter your wireless password) and will refresh you home wireless network settings on your laptop.

Good Luck.

Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2013, 10:26:44 am »
Shouldn't be the router since I am surfing now on my iPad on the same router. That said, I have restarted the router several times today.

That doesn't matter.  I think the first thing you should do is shut down both your router and PC and wait a few minutes.  Then reboot the router, a minute later the PC.  That will force a resync.  A cheap and easy test before you do anything radical.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2013, 10:36:20 am »

How old is the router? I used to have a similar problem and everyone in the house had to keep re-booting the router. I spoke with a tech guy and because of the age he seemed to feel it was basically crapping out so I got a new unit and haven't had any problems since then. Like everything else these days they just become disposable ;D
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2013, 11:53:50 am »

That doesn't matter.  I think the first thing you should do is shut down both your router and PC and wait a few minutes.  Then reboot the router, a minute later the PC.  That will force a resync.  A cheap and easy test before you do anything radical.

Just rebooting the router will force the resync.  Even if you restart your computer, it will still use the same saved network settings, which may be corrupted.  Every time I get a call to troubleshoot wireless connections, most of them are solved by deleting your saved wireless network connections and reconnecting to the network just as if it were your first time connecting to the network.  Beyond that, if your other wireless devices are working fine w/ the router, then you start looking closer at the troubled computer.  Then again, routers are so cheap, getting a new one to test out is not much trouble.  If the new router doesn't work, you can always return it.
Jeremy Baker

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2013, 01:51:19 pm »
So, like, it's not the router .... just sayin'.

Offline bernman

• Cellarman
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2013, 02:59:03 pm »
Is your laptop pulling an IP address?

Start
Run
Type CMD then enter
Type ipconfig then enter

Your IP address should start with 192.168. for a home router.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2013, 06:05:32 pm »
Did you ever check your drivers?
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2013, 06:15:26 pm »
I haven't had a chance to look at it today. First full day back to work in a week and had one hell of a day. Broken forklifts suck.