Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ten Fidy!  (Read 3214 times)

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
Ten Fidy!
« on: December 28, 2012, 04:06:24 pm »
Excellent imperial stout from Oskar Blues. 

Fully blogged here.

TL;DR:

Black as used diesel motor oil from an old caterpillar on the farm, with a great, lasting brown head and tremendous lacing.

Although it’s a bit subdued for an imperial stout, the aroma smells of sweet roasted malts, coffee, dark chocolate, molasses and caramel. The rising smell of alcohol seems to accent the complex aromas nicely.

Taste wise the complexity only increases.  Bitter roasted malts, molasses, honey, coffee, chocolate, a touch of dark fruits (raisins?), and notable alcohol taste are rounded out by a slightly acrid bitterness from the ample hops.

The body is thick and rich, gaining complexity as it warms.  Carbonation is smooth and silky.  A lovely burnt, roasty, bitter malt character finishes it off and leaves a nice stouty aftertaste.

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Re: Ten Fidy!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 04:47:57 pm »
Very good beer and as far as I know it's the only RIS style beer in a can.  Was at OB in July and they broke out the whiskey barrel aged Ten Fidy for us to try and it was great. 
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 04:52:28 pm »
Very good beer and as far as I know it's the only RIS style beer in a can.  Was at OB in July and they broke out the whiskey barrel aged Ten Fidy for us to try and it was great. 
Yes, I'd love to try that sometime! :D

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 06:31:24 am »
I've had it on two separate occasions from the can where it was horrible. The acetadehyde would knock your socks off. I've also had it when it was great. It's been quite some time since I purchased any, perhaps I should give it another go.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 08:26:19 am »
I actually like Great Divide's Yeti Imperial Stout a little better.  I live closer to GD than I do OB, so I visit GD more than I do OB.  It's fun to sample all the different versions GD does with Yeti such as chocolate oak aged, espresso oak aged, whiskey barrel oak aged, regular oak aged, and their Belgian Style Yeti.  Have had all of these at their tasting room and they all very very good.  Most of these, if not all, are bottled and sold around the Denver area, not sure how far their distribution goes.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 08:22:13 am »
I now live close (4 hours) to Oskar Blues as well. Of course I haven't moved ;)
https://www.facebook.com/OskarBluesSoutheast
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 08:16:06 am »
I actually like Great Divide's Yeti Imperial Stout a little better.  I live closer to GD than I do OB, so I visit GD more than I do OB.  It's fun to sample all the different versions GD does with Yeti such as chocolate oak aged, espresso oak aged, whiskey barrel oak aged, regular oak aged, and their Belgian Style Yeti.  Have had all of these at their tasting room and they all very very good.  Most of these, if not all, are bottled and sold around the Denver area, not sure how far their distribution goes.

All of the Yeti series are amazing!  I personally prefer the regular oak aged yeti best, but YMMV! 

As for the comment about bad ten-fidy, how were those cans kept, where did you get them, how old were they etc?  I have had ten fidy on several occasions over the years and haven't seen any consistency issues.  Not that they couldn't exist though.