Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: DIY Bacon  (Read 15158 times)

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
DIY Bacon
« on: January 02, 2013, 12:08:39 pm »
Wasn't sure is this should be it's own thread or not. It is bacon though, shouldn't it have it's own category?

http://www.americastestkitchenfeed.com/do-it-yourself/2013/01/how-to-make-bacon/
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Re: DIY Bacon
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 02:14:40 am »
We typically cover bacon-making in the BBQ thread, but why not on its own thread?

I use Ruhlman's recipe:
http://ruhlman.com/2010/10/home-cured-bacon-2/
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 06:04:21 am »
There are many bacon threads. ;)

You can go as far and just use kosher salt and sugar if cure #1 isn't available. Otherwise stick to the same proportions. In Salumi Ruhlman and Polcyn begin to depart from the use if nitrites. But I like what cure #1 brings to the party.

For discount-bacon prices one can end up with first-rate product and that is where the real savings come in. The increased quality makes it more than worth the time and effort which is minimal regardless. Haven't bought any bacon since last May.

Look for an Asian market to find cheap pork belly.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 10:21:12 am »
Looks interesting. Wonder what is inside the baco?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 10:24:48 am »
Looks interesting. Wonder what is inside the baco?

Looking at the picture, I'd say scrambled egg.  Would make a nice breakfast taco.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 04:26:21 pm »
I just started my first batch of bacon-3.2 pounds of some nice looking pork belly using Rulhman's recipe.  It's a good thing I'll be on the road all week, I won't be able to mess with it.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 05:01:50 pm »
The meat is supposed to be flipped once a day while on the cure; but I left a slice of pork butt done with the same^^^ bacon cure for all last week without flipping and it turned out fine. I flipped it for the first day and the last several days so it must have been on the cure for two weeks. Cold smoked, then vac-sealed and poached (SV) at exactly 150F for 2 hours. Delicious. That's how fine the line is between ham and bacon. ;D

You'll love that bacon corky.

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 12:43:12 pm »
Made some last week. This was my second attempt and it turned out fantastic. It was a little extra time but well worth it, especially since I did 12 pounds and will seal it up and freeze it. I used Ruhlmans recipe for the most part.

Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 03:15:14 pm »
That's some mighty fine looking bacon there! How did you source that?

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 03:41:18 pm »
Homemade bacon is tops!!!
Try making  some 'buckboard bacon' sometime too.   Same cure & procedures, but using a well marbled pork shoulder butt (aka 'Boston cut') instead of the belly.  Sometimes I'll trim the butt down to flat rectangular pieces roughly the thickness of typical 'belly" bacon.

Truly delicious.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 05:33:51 pm »
Some of my best ham and bacon has been off the butt. I have 4# bone end off a butt with a carton of OJ weighing on it right now in the fridge. Feels fairly dense so is probably ready to smoke, roast or poach. I'm leaning towards the smoke and poach method.

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 06:32:45 am »

Found a butcher shop that sells their own homemade bacon and asked them if they will sell me some bellies. He said sure so I ordered 2 of them not thinking they were 12# each! I only made one belly while the other is still frozen. The nice thing was it was cheaper than the other butcher and they took the skin off for me. They also source their meat from farms within the state. I was surprised how meaty the belly was. Some like it with more fat but I like the meat.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 06:46:27 am »

Found a butcher shop that sells their own homemade bacon and asked them if they will sell me some bellies. He said sure so I ordered 2 of them not thinking they were 12# each! I only made one belly while the other is still frozen. The nice thing was it was cheaper than the other butcher and they took the skin off for me. They also source their meat from farms within the state. I was surprised how meaty the belly was. Some like it with more fat but I like the meat.
+1.  There's a meat market in Indy that makes some of the best bacon around, and it's very meaty. Doesn't shrink to 1/2 its size like store bought.  Makes a killer BLT.
Jon H.