Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: VacuVita [Semi-plug]  (Read 4059 times)

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
VacuVita [Semi-plug]
« on: September 10, 2013, 01:53:32 pm »
http://vacuvita.com/

... looks to me like the large container is the size of a loaf of bread, and the small container is the size of a sandwich.

This seems to be a next evolutionary step technology.  I've used those "Seal-A-Meal" whatsits with the hot wire and bags and the sucker things that try to vacuum out your Tupperware, and they're rather... irritating.  This is going, "That's a good idea.  How about doing it not-stupid?"

Risk of first generation tech being crappy is kind of high here.  Failing seals and electronics are common in primary runs.  On the other hand, these folks appear German; German engineering I trust.  Besides, this looks like something I want to encourage.

Guess I'll bite.  Fresh-made sandwiches are good, but not so good 5 hours later when you fetch them from the office refrigerator.  This interests me.

Thoughts?

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: VacuVita [Semi-plug]
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 02:17:32 pm »
Not sure how it's different than a FoodSaver with the canister accessories.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 02:33:10 pm »
Not sure how it's different than a FoodSaver with the canister accessories.

Thanks.  :)

Looks like... it's not much different!  Different form factor (the FoodSaver looks like a traditional vacuum bag style with a hose; this is more a canister with an integrated vacuum, with a hose to vacuum other canisters), but in the end the FoodSaver lets you hook up a hose to a canister and vacuum it out.

The major difference is the canister form factor.  Which is really no difference at all; sure one's round and one's square, but the fact is "there's canisters, they may or may not be in a shape you like, otherwise these are the same thing."

Good catch.

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 06:03:36 pm »
I'll stick with the FoodSaver (and it's clones) because you have the option of doing jars or bags.  I'm partial to the bags, myself
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 02:00:36 am »
I'll stick with living on Hawaii Island.  Wild fruit grows everywhere here, free for the picking.  No need for seal-a-meal.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 05:48:13 am »
I'll stick with living on Hawaii Island.  Wild fruit grows everywhere here, free for the picking.  No need for seal-a-meal.

Let's all move to Hawaii, oh wait a minute, we may not all fit, and then all our garbage will turn paradise into a s**thole.  Never mind. ;)
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 09:59:44 am »
I'll stick with the FoodSaver (and it's clones) because you have the option of doing jars or bags.  I'm partial to the bags, myself

To be fair, I honestly thought this was the state of the art:

My goals are more "I just baked 2 loaves of bread... which are going to go bad before I even get 1/4 through one of them" or "I have to make sandwiches for lunch for the week."  A week's worth of sandwiches might be doable in bags (I'm partial to sandwich-shaped tupperware though), but being in and out of the bread container constantly is going to change things a bit.

Long-term storage is attractive, though... no bags huh?  The FoodSaver might be better for saving up vegetable ends and chicken carcasses for stock.  Can't shove a chicken carcass in a bread box, and bags of vegetable parts will fit better in the freezer.  That's a big use case for me too.

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 10:56:54 pm »
My hop direct pounds of hops go into wide mouth quart jars....get vac packed then placed
into the freezer....so very little oxygen and no light gets to em...then when I need fresh hops,
out comes the jar....use what I need and vac it down again ....back into storage. worx wonderful.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.