Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tomato sauce  (Read 6004 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Tomato sauce
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 12:03:02 pm »
We make a sauce/paste that can be used as the base for many sauces.  Just cut tomatoes in half if they're large (we use Romas) and put them along with a bunch of garlic cloves on a sheet pan.  Roast in the oven at about 350 until garlic and tomatoes are soft.  Whiz 'em up in a food processor and freeze.  The advantage of this method (besides being dead easy) is that after you thaw it and heat it up, you can add whatever herbs you want for whatever you're making.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2013, 12:20:39 pm »
We make a sauce/paste that can be used as the base for many sauces.  Just cut tomatoes in half if they're large (we use Romas) and put them along with a bunch of garlic cloves on a sheet pan.  Roast in the oven at about 350 until garlic and tomatoes are soft.  Whiz 'em up in a food processor and freeze.  The advantage of this method (besides being dead easy) is that after you thaw it and heat it up, you can add whatever herbs you want for whatever you're making.

Sounds easy and no need for all the boiling. It's been boiling for a while now and probably has 3 more to go.

Will try the oven method with the next few assuming they ripen up. Picked most of the ripe ones for today's batch.

cornershot

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2013, 03:37:15 am »
I made another 9 gallons of sauce this weekend. This time I used all Romas. I cut the tomatoes in half horizontally and placed them on sheet pans, cut side down and roasted at 500f for 25 minutes until the skins became almost blackened. Much of the water had drained out into the pan- I got a gallon of this juice and canned it for future cooking. I put the roasted tomatoes along with roasted garlic through my food mill and cooked down the sauce. The result was a thick, intensely flavored sauce. I finally got the results that have been eluding me for over a decade!
Thanks again to everyone for the comments! I didn't necessarily use anyone's exact technique, but you all helped shape my thought process and guide me to tomato nirvana!