Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: DIY Bacon  (Read 15212 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: DIY Bacon
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2013, 12:15:35 pm »
I gotta give makin bacon a whirl!
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 02:13:18 pm »
OK, found this thread today while here at work.  As fate would have it, today is the day the local organic farmer sets up a little stand in our lobby.  And, they had a pork belly.

So I guess I'm gonna start a cure tonight. 

Offline rainmaker

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 02:57:22 pm »
You want all things homemade bacon.
http://tvwbb.com/forumdisplay.php?62-Charcuterie

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2013, 04:55:33 pm »

Very nice and helpfully quick! Thanks! Bookmarked...

I wish there was a brining calc as doing thick cuts benefits from this approach to introducing the cure.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline rainmaker

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, 08:10:06 pm »

Very nice and helpfully quick! Thanks! Bookmarked...

I wish there was a brining calc as doing thick cuts benefits from this approach to introducing the cure.

What exactly are you looking for brining wise? There are some basic measurements that are scalable to any size.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2013, 09:33:10 pm »
Immersion curing for hams mainly. I haven't resorted to injection yet but have found salt penetration issues with really thick pieces treated with a dry cure. Perhaps it is a time thing but when there is bone involved I want to get the cure distributed thoroughly and evenly as soon as possible.

Thinking that a brine would do better over an extended period vs dry cure in a ziploc and something heavy on top.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2013, 10:56:41 pm »
Immersion curing for hams mainly. I haven't resorted to injection yet but have found salt penetration issues with really thick pieces treated with a dry cure. Perhaps it is a time thing but when there is bone involved I want to get the cure distributed thoroughly and evenly as soon as possible.

Thinking that a brine would do better over an extended period vs dry cure in a ziploc and something heavy on top.
Euge its not my realm yet but your paragraph just screams VACUUM
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2013, 03:40:50 pm »
OK, found this thread today while here at work.  As fate would have it, today is the day the local organic farmer sets up a little stand in our lobby.  And, they had a pork belly.

Well, my first batch pretty much sucked.  I used a dry cure.  Got another belly in a wet cure.  We'll see how that turns out. 

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2013, 06:53:14 am »

Well, my first batch pretty much sucked.  I used a dry cure.  Got another belly in a wet cure.  We'll see how that turns out.

What happened? My first batch was okay but the second was awesome. I used dry cure on both.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2013, 08:39:51 am »
It just tasted like pork, not bacon. 

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2013, 09:24:03 am »
It just tasted like pork, not bacon.

What was your cure? I added some pink salt in the second time I did it. I found it gives it a more "bacony" flavor than not using the nitrites.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2013, 09:36:37 am »
I think you are on the right track.  No pink salt.  Just canning salt. 

But, I changed that with the wet cure going right now. 

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2013, 10:54:01 am »
I want to build a cold smoker using my Weber One Touch Gold. There're some good designs out there. Cold smoking is something I want to eventually try.

Thanks for posting the DIY Bacon!
Ron Price

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2013, 10:13:35 am »
We went in with our neighbors and split a whole hog to be butchered.  Originally, the butcher was going to do all the bacon for us, but he is going to save 1/4 slab (he said it would be about 4lbs) of pork belly so I can make my own bacon.  Reading through this thread I'm excited to try this! 

We've got family coming in to stay with us the last week of August and have planned smoking some ribs, so I'll start the smoker low to smoke the pork belly.  Once I take the belly off the smoker, I'll raise the temp up for the ribs and throw them on.  I'll be using a mixture of apple and peach wood.

I've smoked many cuts of meat, but this will be my first at smoking pork belly, so any advice from those that have smoked their bacon would be much appreciated.  Thanks!
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2013, 01:09:21 pm »
I've smoked many cuts of meat, but this will be my first at smoking pork belly, so any advice from those that have smoked their bacon would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

Once you hit an internal temp of 150, pull the belly off and let it rest. Once you start going over that, you'll start rendering too much fat out of the belly and then you'll have a large bacon steak.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan