Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Water Check - not Happy with "Pale Ale" profile  (Read 6356 times)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: Water Check - not Happy with "Pale Ale" profile
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 08:01:29 am »
I can tell that Stone's water is higher in sodium, but also thought the sulfate would be higher. I think the thing my IPA's have been missing is sulfate...I tend to not go much above 100ppm. I should actually try 150-200ppm in a recipe I know and see if it makes the hops "pop" a little more. Thoughts?

go for it.!

Really? I remember the last time or two I was in Vegas I tasted the water and thought it actually had a decent enough taste that it could be used for brewing, unlike the hard and heavily chlorinated water here in Dallas.

Not sure if Reno and Vegas are similarly sourced, but I annually go to Reno for business and visited a brewpub there  2 years ago (BJ's?? - can't remember) and 2 of the beers tasted like I had pennies in my mouth.  I questioned the assistant brewer, who sat down and had one with me, and said that "yeah, it does...when I made that batch the RO filter was down, so I just said 'f' it and brewed, bro!"
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
Re: Water Check - not Happy with "Pale Ale" profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 09:46:50 am »
No, Reno gets their water from the Truckee River which comes from Tahoe.  I suppose that water could have iron and other metals since that is all hard-rock area.  It should otherwise be decent water for brewing.  I don't know for sure though.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks