Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Water Profile For Mead  (Read 4855 times)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Water Profile For Mead
« on: December 19, 2012, 07:47:58 am »
So...I'm making a traditional mead with orange blossom this weekend.  I use RO water - should I be adding any salts to the water?

Also, does mead create a large krausen?  Concerned about having enough head space in my fermenter.

Cheers!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline bunderbunder

• Cellarman
Re: Water Profile For Mead
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 08:09:36 am »
Don't know enough to speak on water; I've only got one batch under my belt and I just used tap water for it.

I didn't have any krausen, but it did foam up enough to overflow the fermentor once while I was degassing it.

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 08:23:50 am »
Per the folks at an NHC mead panel, water with some alkalinity will keep the pH up which is good for the yeast. With RO water and honey you will get a low pH that the yeast will drive lower. You could add potassium carbonate as you go to keep the pH up - measure and adjust.

I think that was Steve Piatz that said that.His water was fairly alkline.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline hubie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 08:54:20 am »
I'll second the comment regarding krausen.  You should have very little, but if you don't allow yourself much head space then you'll want to degas very slowly.  If you do the staggered nutrient addition approach, make sure to degas before adding the nutrients otherwise it could foam up like adding sugar to a bottle of soda.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 11:40:54 pm »
Calcium and other minerals are important for yeast health - no idea what level you have in your water.  But if it's good for beer it should be fine for mead.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 08:54:13 pm »
You'll definitely want to check and raise the pH. It'll drop pretty quickly with RO water. Some honey types are more acidic than others. Potassium bicarbonate is pretty user-friendly, and doesn't have as strong of a taste as calcium carbonate.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.