General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

Stir plate question

(1/2) > >>

Pi:
How long do you use the stir plate after fermentation begins? do you run it till the bubbles stop?

blatz:

--- Quote from: Pi on January 03, 2013, 08:25:11 AM ---How long do you use the stir plate after fermentation begins? do you run it till the bubbles stop?

--- End quote ---

Its usually in the 24-48 hour range for me.  There are visual signs to look for - krausen/foam head has fallen, the wort has a creamier, more opaque appearance than when initially pitched, and the cascading bubbles rising to the top have ceased.  When all of those things have occured, I tightly seal the foil on top and off she goes for cold crashing. 

theDarkSide:
It depends.  Some people like to pitch ales at high krausen (18-24 hours) and some like to ferment out, decant and pitch ( 24-36 hours depending on the strain ). 

But either way, the stirplate runs for the whole time. 

Pinski:

--- Quote from: blatz on January 03, 2013, 08:28:41 AM ---
--- Quote from: Pi on January 03, 2013, 08:25:11 AM ---How long do you use the stir plate after fermentation begins? do you run it till the bubbles stop?

--- End quote ---

Its usually in the 24-48 hour range for me.  There are visual signs to look for - krausen/foam head has fallen, the wort has a creamier, more opaque appearance than when initially pitched, and the cascading bubbles rising to the top have ceased.  When all of those things have occured, I tightly seal the foil on top and off she goes for cold crashing.

--- End quote ---

Same here, usually around 36 hours unless I'm doing multiple steps.

davidgzach:
What they said....

Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version