General Category > All Grain Brewing

Pale barley brand and price

(1/3) > >>

imperialstout:
Have just increased the ability to brew once a month and am thinking of buying pale grain in bulk. Can get 50 pounds of Muntons pale for $50, Weyermanns for $71 and Maris Otter for $77.

I realize everyone has their opinions, which is just what I am asking for.

What do you like / don't like about the above grains?

Kaiser:
I don't like the price of Weyermann malts and the fact that I can't get it through our club bulk buy. Otherwise its very  high quality malt.

I have found less different "stuff" and dust in Weyermann malt than I have found in other malts.

I have yet to make a clear beer with Maris Otter malt w/o the need for fining. I have tried 2 different brands so far (Bairds and Fawcett)

Kai

Kai

imperialstout:
Haven't thought of "other stuff" in the grain. It is definitely something to look for. Depending on volume, what flavor is the "stuff" adding to the brew. Something to consider.

tygo:

--- Quote from: Kaiser on January 03, 2013, 02:53:48 PM ---I have yet to make a clear beer with Maris Otter malt w/o the need for fining. I have tried 2 different brands so far (Bairds and Fawcett)

--- End quote ---

I haven't used Bairds but I've used Fawcett and Crisp.  I've found more yeast driven distinction in the clarity of beer than I have from the malt.  Burton ale yeast for example I can never get to clear properly.  1469 on the other hand will drop bright for me with no problems.

kmccaf:

--- Quote from: tygo on January 03, 2013, 06:29:15 PM ---
--- Quote from: Kaiser on January 03, 2013, 02:53:48 PM ---I have yet to make a clear beer with Maris Otter malt w/o the need for fining. I have tried 2 different brands so far (Bairds and Fawcett)

--- End quote ---

I haven't used Bairds but I've used Fawcett and Crisp.  I've found more yeast driven distinction in the clarity of beer than I have from the malt.  Burton ale yeast for example I can never get to clear properly.  1469 on the other hand will drop bright for me with no problems.

--- End quote ---

Well that explains my confusion when I read people stating how Maris Otter also produces hazy beers. I only ever use 1469. Such a great yeast.

Otherwise, to answer the OP. I've used Munton's Maris Otter, and Fawcett's Maris Otter. I don't know which brand your Maris Otter is, but I think having 50lbs of it around is usually a good idea. I liked Fawcett more than the Muntons. Muntons was fine, but Fawcett had more of that gram crackery goodness that I like. However, that is a pretty hefty price for a 50lb sack of it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version