Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Change for the worse in Star San longevity? At least in my new bottle...  (Read 7108 times)

Offline mugwort

• Assistant Brewer
  • Baby T Aleworks
I just unsealed a new 32oz bottle of Star San to replace the 32oz bottle I've used for about a year and a half. Something I noticed immediately is that solutions made from this bottle of Star San cloud over much more rapidly than those made from the previous.

From my previous bottle I was getting shelf life of about a week with a covered, mixed-up batch of SS (1oz to 5 gal water). But solutions made from this latest bottle cloud over within a day (even when in a covered container or spray bottle).

Since Star San's pH (and therefore microbe-killing power) can be roughly judged by the clarity of the solution, I'm forced to consider changing my sanitizer habits to include discarding fresh but hazy solution and mixing batches more frequently.

BTW, the labels look legit and product was purchased from a reputable retailer.

Anybody else out there seeing a change in recent batches of Star San?  I'm pretty sure that my water didn't change that much over the course of a few weeks.
Baby T Aleworks | 100% Organic Abode-Crafted Ales | San Gabriel, CA | On tap...

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Change for the worse in Star San longevity? At least in my new bottle...
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 03:31:09 pm »
I have heard recently, I think from Denny, that the cloudiness = higher pH is not really all that accurate. If you have the ability to test pH that is your best bet for figuring out if the star san is still good.

I mix mine with tap water so it clouds over almost immediatly but still seems to work (fingers crossed, no infections yet)
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 03:45:26 pm »
I have heard recently, I think from Denny, that the cloudiness = higher pH is not really all that accurate. If you have the ability to test pH that is your best bet for figuring out if the star san is still good.

I mix mine with tap water so it clouds over almost immediatly but still seems to work (fingers crossed, no infections yet)
I also mix with tap water, instant cloudiness.  No issues so far.  I haven't tested the pH but perhaps I will pick up some strips and check it out.

Offline hubie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 03:45:37 pm »
This is very interesting because I am in exactly the same boat as you.  I suddenly noticed that my buckets cloud over very quickly, like within an hour or two, whereas before it would go for several days before clouding up.  I also switched to a new 32 oz bottle.  I didn't think to associate it with the StarSan.  I had assumed that the mineral content of my water had changed going from winter into spring, or whatever the seasons were at the time.

Offline brewlikeamonkey

• Cellarman
  • Cheesehead
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 04:43:13 pm »
I have a friend who checks the Ph on his and he says that storing it covered, it lasts for month.
Mike

Offline breslinp

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 04:54:59 pm »
Have you tried making it with distilled water? Mine clouds with tap water but lasts months with distilled water.

I just unsealed a new 32oz bottle of Star San to replace the 32oz bottle I've used for about a year and a half. Something I noticed immediately is that solutions made from this bottle of Star San cloud over much more rapidly than those made from the previous.

From my previous bottle I was getting shelf life of about a week with a covered, mixed-up batch of SS (1oz to 5 gal water). But solutions made from this latest bottle cloud over within a day (even when in a covered container or spray bottle).

Since Star San's pH (and therefore microbe-killing power) can be roughly judged by the clarity of the solution, I'm forced to consider changing my sanitizer habits to include discarding fresh but hazy solution and mixing batches more frequently.

Anybody else out there seeing a change in recent batches of Star San?  I'm pretty sure that my water didn't change that much over the course of a few weeks.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 04:57:17 pm »
Have you tried making it with distilled water? Mine clouds with tap water but lasts months with distilled water.

It also lasts a long time with RO water.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

narvin

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 06:01:55 pm »
Could be your water changing due to seasonal differences, also.

And, as it has been covered already, cloudy Star San is not necessarily ineffective.  Check the pH to make sure.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 06:35:15 pm »
I haven't noticed a change and I just got a new bottle recently.  But as others have said above, with tap water mine clouds up almost instantly.  I'll use cloudy starsan solution for an entire brewday but I'll discard after that.  I have tested the pH and it stays below 3 as long as I'm using it for so I'm not worried about it.

For the solution I store in a keg and keep long term I use distilled.  I also keep a gallon jug of distilled water solution around for general tasks between brews and it stays crystal clear for months.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline Slowbrew

• The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 05:50:10 am »
If you are in the midwest your water is changing quickly this year.  The rivers are down to very low levels and in many places more ground water from deeper wells is being used.  Our mineral contents is going up quite a bit right now.  Hopefully the drought (going on 8-10 years now) will end, or at least abate, soon and we can get some water back in the rivers.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline mabrungard

• Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 06:50:50 am »
If you are in the midwest your water is changing quickly this year.  The rivers are down to very low levels and in many places more ground water from deeper wells is being used.  Our mineral contents is going up quite a bit right now.  Hopefully the drought (going on 8-10 years now) will end, or at least abate, soon and we can get some water back in the rivers.

Paul

Exactly.  Clouding of StarSan solution is due to hardness in the water.  Using distilled, RO, or even ion-exchange softened water will solve the clouding 'problem'.  Its not really a problem.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 08:42:15 am »
My issue with storing it for longer periods of time is it develops a film. The bucket and anything sitting in it over night or for 12 hours will develop this film that is very slippery. It probably doesn't hurt anything but it discolors my tubing if I forget and leave it in the solution.
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline hubie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 08:44:40 am »
When I make it with distilled water it stays cloud-free as you'd expect.  It just struck me interesting that when I make it with tap water it clouds up much much quicker than before, and just like mugwort this seemed to have happened coincidentally after using a new 32oz bottle.

Does StarSan lose its acidity over time in storage and perhaps the stuff in my old bottle was "old"?  It takes me a very long time to go through a 32oz bottle.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 10:19:35 am »
I notice little fiber-like particles floating in my starsan once in a while. I kinda wonder if that's a bad thing...
I also use RO and don't get cloudiness often. I mix it pretty strong in a clear growler.
Jesse

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 01:26:58 pm »
I notice little fiber-like particles floating in my starsan once in a while. I kinda wonder if that's a bad thing...
I also use RO and don't get cloudiness often. I mix it pretty strong in a clear growler.
Don't worry, the fibers are just asbestos.  Its the secret ingredient, they skewer the bacteria and the few that survive get asbestosis.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO