Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kitchen sink to QD adapter coupling?  (Read 2668 times)

Offline restlesnativ

• Cellarman
Kitchen sink to QD adapter coupling?
« on: February 05, 2014, 06:15:29 am »
I'm assuming more than a few of you folks have set up a quick disconnect system from a kitchen sink faucet. I am plumbing a sink into the brewery and I would like to use quick disconnects for the bottle washer, garden hose, plate chiller, etc. The current set up comes from a standard garden hose thread which I was able to get fittings for with no problem. My new faucet has an outside (male) thread, the quick disconnect fitting has an outside (male) thread. I have not been able to find the male QD fitting in any other configuration. I am having a hard time finding a coupling to suit this set-up. Has anyone seen a coupling that would work for this or a have any ideas on a work around to complete the connection?

Thanks

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Kitchen sink to QD adapter coupling?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 06:24:56 am »
You need a faucet thread to garden hose thread adapter. Found at any decent hardware store.

Offline restlesnativ

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 06:33:54 am »
I left out some information. The QD is a 1/2" NPT, fairly critical piece of information, sorry about that. So I would going from male kitchen sink thread to male 1/2" NPT.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 06:40:18 am »
Maybe they'll have that. Or you could just grab a $2 plastic garden hose quick disconnect (mine never leaked, but if it did its over the sink right? ) then save your cool qd for something else.

Offline restlesnativ

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 06:55:32 am »
Heh, hadn't even thought of it that way. Probably save a few bucks setting up that way anyways. Thanks.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 07:02:14 am »
No problem

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 09:43:42 am »
I have an adapter for my dishwasher installed on my sink's faucet. Any ideas where to get a barbed QD for it? Currently I run QD's off a garden hose snaked in from outside and it works great. I can (and do!) water the grass or garden with the effluent.

The option to use the sink would nice.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline restlesnativ

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 10:11:05 am »
I don't, but i like that idea. I want to make up some custom garden hose lengths for my sink and that would be perfect. If I find anything I'll let you know.

Offline restlesnativ

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 10:19:36 am »
I'm not sure what anyone's opinion on these are but when i first started converting over to QD's for my chiller I found these to work great. They don't have a barb style available but I have no leaks with these installed. May not be exactly what you're looking for.

http://www.dudadiesel.com/search.php?query=GHose

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 11:06:30 am »
Dudadiesel is an awesome site.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 11:28:16 am »
I use these for all of my hose fittings and love them.

http://www.amazon.com/Orbit-Brass-Quick-Connect-58117/dp/B00004S25O/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1391624766&sr=8-16&keywords=garden+hose+disconnects

I did use thread tape and wrenched them down pretty well. I also do double check them every brewday, but way easier than threading by hand and even easier than attempting to tighten down the fittings on a hot chiller.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 11:37:00 am »
That's what I currently use. Pretty awesome. One needs to be careful though and get the real ones. I've had some cheapo sets that looked the same yet corroded almost immediately.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 12:36:52 pm »
Mine are actually Gilmore brand. Lowes carries them. I would avoid the plastic ones like the plague. Not worth the few bucks