Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Running wild  (Read 2670 times)

Offline cbrown0531

• 1st Kit
    • Patriot Brewing Company Facebook Page
Running wild
« on: January 03, 2013, 03:32:53 pm »
I love to homebrew, and also love to run (and cross fit). There have been several articles in various magazines and news outlets promoting beer as a better post work out drink as opposed to sports drinks. Ive really started looking into this, but the beer that I have been making during the last few months is thick, dark, and not as refreshing after a long run. If anyone has done a Tough Mudder you know you are handed a beer right after your headband, and that beer is a Dos Equis. Also quite not as refreshing as I had hoped. Does anyone know what type of beer would be best after a workout? I imagine something on the light side, somewhat hoppy, some citrus. I am not thinking just for refreshment, but also that may have other benefits, such as cramp/soreness reduction etc.

Happy brewing!
Homebrewer!

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Re: Running wild
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 04:57:34 pm »
The only thing that comes to mind is a Saison, since it was originally brewed for farm hands as they work.

Steve
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 06:39:33 pm »
Believe it or not, I'm thinking Guinness is probably your best choice. To me refreshing means low abv and possibly a hint of acidity. And to help you out after a run you want minerals and enough residual sugar to replenish some carbs without being cloying.

Other choices would be an English mild, or a sessionable amber, porter or brown ale.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 11:56:17 pm »
I was thinking a nice weizen would be very refreshing after a workout.  It is after mowing the lawn anyway. ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline jds357

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 12:10:33 am »
From articles I've read, beers that are dark and low in alcohol content are the healthiest for you.  New studies show that one dark beer a day has great health benefits.  As far as post workout... I think the best way to find out is to experiment for yourself ;)