Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Batch size  (Read 4415 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Batch size
« on: February 26, 2010, 12:36:22 am »
I brew 12 gallon batches. The brewery churns it out pretty consistently without capacity bottlenecks. Why such a departure? It's easier to brew "extra" so what goes into the cornies has little to no sediment. Usually then I have a nearly clear beer on the second glass upon tapping a keg.

Plus, I have a gallon or more to play with- random carbing up a PET's to sample the beer still will leave me with full kegs on kegging day and fresh beer to drink. :D

That's me. What about you guys? Method to your madness?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Batch size
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 04:11:00 am »
Usually 5.5 gallon batches.  That's about the max my system can handle since I only have a ten gallon kettle.  No real desire to brew bigger batches at the moment either since it's mostly just me drinking it and I like to brew as frequently as I can and keep the pipeline full.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 05:00:53 am »
I always try to brew more than I really want and typically for the same reason as Euge.  But with that said its also to get the most in my fermenter so I can siphon without worrying about getting the last dregs from the carboy to fill the keg as I don't typically bottle anything.

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 05:51:47 am »
11 gallons here . . 2 full cornies after losses. That and it's too hot to brew in the summer. Oh, and a lot of friends who came out of the woodwork when they learned I BYO.  ::) 
Just brew it...

Offline mikeypedersen

• Brewer
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 08:42:42 am »
I normally put 11 to 11.5 into the fermenters depending on how much hop matter is in my kettle.  If I have more than what will fit into secondary, I'll run the leftover into a plastic bottle, squeeze the air out, and throw the carbonator on top to carb it up.  Gives me something esle to try other than the 3 beers on tap.

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 09:07:56 am »
Usually 5.5 gallon batches.  That's about the max my system can handle since I only have a ten gallon kettle.  No real desire to brew bigger batches at the moment either since it's mostly just me drinking it and I like to brew as frequently as I can and keep the pipeline full.

Couldn't have said it any better for my own case
Joe

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 09:45:00 am »
I usually do 5.5 gal. at a time.  My brewing system can handle more, but I can't really control the fermentation of more than one 5ish gal. batch at a time.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 10:51:01 am »
I have moved away from 11 gallon batches except for my house beer for the purposes of variety. I like to have alot of different beers on tap and bottled. I just can't drink 11 gallons of any beer fast enough.

I'm sure I could get some help though.  ;D
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 01:05:36 pm »
Two kegs usually will last me a month. Now that my friends have discovered my hidden talent I have to brew twice as much.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline mtbrewer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 01:10:16 pm »
I am getting up to 13 gallon batches anymore. I have been taking a few gallons and boiling on the kitchen stove, then adding when there is room in the kettle. I really need to start kegging, I have 44 gallons ready to bottle now, not to mention wine :P

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 01:23:24 pm »
I am getting up to 13 gallon batches anymore. I have been taking a few gallons and boiling on the kitchen stove, then adding when there is room in the kettle. I really need to start kegging, I have 44 gallons ready to bottle now, not to mention wine :P

What, you don't have 500 bottles lying around?
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline mtbrewer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 01:30:00 pm »

What, you don't have 500 bottles lying around?
Oh but I do, that is part of the problem as well ;)

Offline mikeypedersen

• Brewer
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 01:33:28 pm »
I brew the larger batches because it only adds 30 minutes to an hour to my brew day to brew twice as much beer.  Which is certainly worth it.  I like variety too, so I'll normally just put the second keg under the basement stairs until I'm ready to drink that style again.....

Offline Mr SOnSO

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 02:48:12 pm »
I brew the larger batches because it only adds 30 minutes to an hour to my brew day to brew twice as much beer.  Which is certainly worth it.  I like variety too, so I'll normally just put the second keg under the basement stairs until I'm ready to drink that style again.....

Agreed.  The time investment is too small not to brew the bigger batch.  And as far as variety, I split the batch and use different yeasts. 

Offline mikeypedersen

• Brewer
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 02:56:02 pm »
Agreed.  The time investment is too small not to brew the bigger batch.  And as far as variety, I split the batch and use different yeasts. 

Yep done that too, or other little tweaks.  For example two totally different dry hop schedules, or if it's a stout I might add coffee to one of the kegs.