Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottling: Too Soon?  (Read 1341 times)

Offline hisham

• 1st Kit
  • homebody brewing
Bottling: Too Soon?
« on: October 24, 2014, 09:16:00 pm »
Greetings All,

I have 3.5 gallons of BIAB Brown Ale that has smoothly cruised down from 1.052 to 1.008 in 12 days (fermented w/ one pack saf05)
I have no plans to rack it into a secondary, or dry-hop. 
It tastes great, and is clear in the glass at sampling from the primary fermentor.
I'm currently bottling my homebrews, and would love to bottle this one tomorrow, as I will have ample time to do so.
My question is, what are the possible detriments to bottling after just 13 days? I've never considered bottling a beer at such an early age before, but this one seems to be telling me it's ready.
Any advice is much appreciated.
Thanks & cheers!

-Hisham

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Bottling: Too Soon?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 09:26:35 pm »
13 days isn't too soon if the FG is stable and there's no diacetyl/acetaldehyde in the beer. A beer that size could be done in 4 or 5 days, honestly. I generally package my normal gravity ales at the 2-week mark. Check the gravity one more time and taste the sample. If everything is good, then bottle away.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline hisham

• 1st Kit
  • homebody brewing
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 09:45:53 pm »
Thanks, Eric.
Yeah - no diacetyl/acet. present, I'll sample again tomorrow & more likely than not get busy bottling at that point.
For the past two years I've been going with the dogma of "2 weeks primary/2 weeks secondary", and am just now spanning out, and experimenting with longer or shorter times depending on the brew, so this advice is appreciated. Cheers

-Hisham 

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 10:30:13 pm »
Think of it like this - you're still doing 2 weeks primary and 2 weeks secondary. But your secondary is the bottle conditioning period.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer