Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: All Zythos APA or IPA  (Read 8326 times)

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
All Zythos APA or IPA
« on: January 04, 2013, 03:26:56 pm »
Anyone ever made an all Zythos beer?  I've got a pound unopened in the fridge, trying to figure out what I wanna try first with them.
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: All Zythos APA or IPA
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 03:48:07 pm »
I think my next beer is going to be a Munich-Zythos SMaSH. Gonna shoot for about 35 IBUs doing a 60, 20, 5 and 0 min addition. I have not used Zythos at all so I thought this would be appropriate to get a feel for what they are like
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 04:35:25 pm »
At risk of being overly pedantic, A beer with Zythos is not a SMaSH. Zythos is a blend of hops.

but an all munich pale ale is lovely.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 05:13:05 pm »
At risk of being overly pedantic, A beer with Zythos is not a SMaSH. Zythos is a blend of hops.

Yeah you're right I just never thought about it. I associate one name with one hop although that is incorrect in this case...

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 08:19:42 am »

I don't think it's being pedantic, just principled!  I agree with you Mort!

I've got ten pounds of Munich, as I've never done an all Munich beer, I think I'm going to do an all Munich/Zythos.  Thanks for the inspiration, Mort!
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 09:10:12 am »

I don't think it's being pedantic, just principled!  I agree with you Mort!

I've got ten pounds of Munich, as I've never done an all Munich beer, I think I'm going to do an all Munich/Zythos.  Thanks for the inspiration, Mort!

Awesome, I was also going to do Munich/Zythos beer here soon as well. What yeast are you planning to use? I was thinking either 1450 or 1469 myself, but then, those have become my go to yeasts for pretty much everything.
Kyle M.

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 10:05:31 am »
My go to is US-05, but I also use Nottingham alot.  I still have one pack of BRY - 97 left too.  Probably go with the US-05
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 10:44:00 am »
I just (around Thanksgiving) brewed a Belgian Imperial IPA using Zythos and Citra.  It turned out fairly good, but if I think it was under-hopped.  I went for mellow bitterness (accomplished) and lots of flavor/ aroma (under-accomplished).  I tell you this as it may influence your hopping rate.  Here is my hop bill/schedule:

2 oz. Citra whole leaf in the mash
1 oz. Zythos First Wort
1 oz. Citra 15 min.
1 oz. zythos 15 min.
3 oz. Citra 5 min.
2 oz. Zythos 5 min.
2 oz. Citra dry hopped for 7 days

I thought I would have a major hop bomb.  Maybe it was the Imperial part (10.5 ABV) that changed the hop impression, but the alcohol is integrated, so I don't know...

Steve
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 07:26:29 pm »
Let us know the results of your Munich/Zythos APA. I just picked up a pound of Zythos (along with several others) and have plans of a Pale Ale marathon here in a couple months.
Frank

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Re: All Zythos APA or IPA
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 07:37:14 am »
I just (around Thanksgiving) brewed a Belgian Imperial IPA using Zythos and Citra.  It turned out fairly good, but if I think it was under-hopped.  I went for mellow bitterness (accomplished) and lots of flavor/ aroma (under-accomplished).  I tell you this as it may influence your hopping rate.  Here is my hop bill/schedule:

2 oz. Citra whole leaf in the mash
1 oz. Zythos First Wort
1 oz. Citra 15 min.
1 oz. zythos 15 min.
3 oz. Citra 5 min.
2 oz. Zythos 5 min.
2 oz. Citra dry hopped for 7 days

I thought I would have a major hop bomb.  Maybe it was the Imperial part (10.5 ABV) that changed the hop impression, but the alcohol is integrated, so I don't know...

Steve

If I wanted to up the hop presence on this recipe I'd move the 5 minute additions to flameout and do a long hop stand. I'd also double the dry hops.

Also, if you aren't already at the upper limit of your mash pH, you can try bumping it up 0.1 points. There have been reports that low pH can mask hop expression.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 09:02:12 am »
Anyone have any recommedations on what type of Munich to use for an all Munich APA? I was planning to use Weyermann Munich II

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 09:26:14 am »
Anyone have any recommedations on what type of Munich to use for an all Munich APA? I was planning to use Weyermann Munich II

I think that would be fine. I use NA munich mostly and I use the 10L stuff which is consistant with what weyermann has to say about munich II (8.0-9.9L)
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 07:55:27 pm »
Just kegged this beer.  Not fantastic.  I don't think Zythos is intended to be an IPA/APA hop.  It does have pronounced garlic/really dank ish flavor and aroma.  It's not a bad beer, I'm sure it will be better when it's carbed up but not really what I was expecting.  This is what I brewed:

10 # Munich
1.2 # Maris Otter
.50 # Carapils

1 oz Zythos @ 60, 30, 15, 0, Dry

Safale US-05

OG  1.060

I'll post some more notes when it's carbed up in a few days.  If it doesn't taste great, the problem is I've still got 10 ounces left.  Maybe it'll surprise me with a little age.  Hopefully.  Rebel describes them as:  Description: Tangerine, Citrus, floral, pine and Grapefruit character (the best of the best)  I don't get any of these flavors/aromas.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 08:03:52 pm by liquidbrewing »
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 09:54:51 am »
Your conclusions are interesting up to this point. My all zythos beers is sitting in the fermenter now. Our beers are strikingly similar. I overshot my efficiency quite a bit so I ended up with a higher OG than planned.

100% Weyermann Munich I
Hop additions: 60, 20, 10, 5, 0, dry
US-05 yeast
OG 1.060
IBUs ~38

When took my first sample, the only aroma that I noted was slight garlic. When dumping in the dry hops the other day I couldn't detect this but I find it interesting you've noticed the same thing. I thought the aroma from the pellets themselves was pleasant but also mild.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 10:00:54 pm »
I have never gotten any garlic/onion from Zythos hops.  I have a batch done that had 60, 30, 0, dry, dry and it tastes/smells great.  I'll be kegging some of it tomorrow.
Tom Schmidlin