General Category > Ingredients

All Zythos APA or IPA

<< < (2/5) > >>

kmccaf:

--- Quote from: liquidbrewing on January 05, 2013, 08:19:42 AM ---
--- Quote from: morticaixavier on January 04, 2013, 04:35:25 PM ---At risk of being overly pedantic, A beer with Zythos is not a SMaSH. Zythos is a blend of hops.

but an all munich pale ale is lovely.

--- End quote ---

I don't think it's being pedantic, just principled!  I agree with you Mort!

I've got ten pounds of Munich, as I've never done an all Munich beer, I think I'm going to do an all Munich/Zythos.  Thanks for the inspiration, Mort!

--- End quote ---

Awesome, I was also going to do Munich/Zythos beer here soon as well. What yeast are you planning to use? I was thinking either 1450 or 1469 myself, but then, those have become my go to yeasts for pretty much everything.

liquidbrewing:
My go to is US-05, but I also use Nottingham alot.  I still have one pack of BRY - 97 left too.  Probably go with the US-05

yso191:
I just (around Thanksgiving) brewed a Belgian Imperial IPA using Zythos and Citra.  It turned out fairly good, but if I think it was under-hopped.  I went for mellow bitterness (accomplished) and lots of flavor/ aroma (under-accomplished).  I tell you this as it may influence your hopping rate.  Here is my hop bill/schedule:

2 oz. Citra whole leaf in the mash
1 oz. Zythos First Wort
1 oz. Citra 15 min.
1 oz. zythos 15 min.
3 oz. Citra 5 min.
2 oz. Zythos 5 min.
2 oz. Citra dry hopped for 7 days

I thought I would have a major hop bomb.  Maybe it was the Imperial part (10.5 ABV) that changed the hop impression, but the alcohol is integrated, so I don't know...

Steve

fmader:
Let us know the results of your Munich/Zythos APA. I just picked up a pound of Zythos (along with several others) and have plans of a Pale Ale marathon here in a couple months.

erockrph:

--- Quote from: yso191 on January 05, 2013, 10:44:00 AM ---I just (around Thanksgiving) brewed a Belgian Imperial IPA using Zythos and Citra.  It turned out fairly good, but if I think it was under-hopped.  I went for mellow bitterness (accomplished) and lots of flavor/ aroma (under-accomplished).  I tell you this as it may influence your hopping rate.  Here is my hop bill/schedule:

2 oz. Citra whole leaf in the mash
1 oz. Zythos First Wort
1 oz. Citra 15 min.
1 oz. zythos 15 min.
3 oz. Citra 5 min.
2 oz. Zythos 5 min.
2 oz. Citra dry hopped for 7 days

I thought I would have a major hop bomb.  Maybe it was the Imperial part (10.5 ABV) that changed the hop impression, but the alcohol is integrated, so I don't know...

Steve

--- End quote ---

If I wanted to up the hop presence on this recipe I'd move the 5 minute additions to flameout and do a long hop stand. I'd also double the dry hops.

Also, if you aren't already at the upper limit of your mash pH, you can try bumping it up 0.1 points. There have been reports that low pH can mask hop expression.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version