Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry Spicing a Wit  (Read 2029 times)

Offline harbicide

• Cellarman
  • Barkeeper's Friend will not passivate stainless.
Dry Spicing a Wit
« on: January 06, 2013, 08:37:37 pm »
After drinking Full Pint's White Lighting I feel my Wit could use some more orange punch.  So I'm wondering if dry spicing each keg with bitter orange peel would work or if fresh pith would be better.
On Tap: 10 yr old Barleywine, Porter, Vienna Lager

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Dry Spicing a Wit
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 08:24:12 am »
The orange flavor comes from coriander.  Bitter orange peel will give you bittering.

While you might get some orange flavor from orange peel, it will not be the punch you are looking for.

Crush up some fresh coriander and you should get orange aromatics.  You could add it directly or soak it in vodka and add the vodka until you get the degree of orange flavor you are looking for.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 09:14:33 am »
Are you planning to make a wit or is it already done?

I make a tangerine wit which gets the zest (not peel, no white pith) and juice of 12 tangerines (per 5 gal) added with about 5 mins left in the boil. Also gets about a tsp of fresh ground Indian coriander. It's nice and orangey. Not likely that you could do much with a finished beer but this is an option for a new batch.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 10:20:12 am »
Maybe its the variety, but I get lemon not orange from my coriander.  You could boil more spices/peel in a little water, let it cool and add it to the beer.  I think you'd get the best and fastest flavor extraction this way and boiling will sanitize and drive off oxygen.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 11:57:20 am »
Soaking in vodka is the best way to go, IMHO.  And I would go the route of coriander plus fresh peels/zest as opposed to old dried peels alone.  Soak in a little vodka for as little as a few hours to as long as a week, then pour the flavored vodka into your beer, and you're good to go.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 01:55:09 pm »
And I would go the route of coriander plus fresh peels/zest as opposed to old dried peels alone. 
+1
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958