General Category > General Homebrew Discussion

Lagering Question

(1/2) > >>

cheba420:
We're knocking out a Belgian Tripel today and it needs to be lagered. However, we've never lagered a beer before. The recipe, from BCS, reads that you ferment, transfer and carbonate then lager for a month. We intend to bottle this batch and naturally carbonate so heres the question: Should we bulk lager or fill the bottles, let them carbonate and then lager? Seems like if we bulk lager for a month, we may not have enough residual yeast in there to bottle condition correctly. I'd rather not hit the bottles with yeast if we dont have to. Any advice?

erockrph:

--- Quote from: cheba420 on January 06, 2013, 10:50:52 AM ---We're knocking out a Belgian Tripel today and it needs to be lagered. However, we've never lagered a beer before. The recipe, from BCS, reads that you ferment, transfer and carbonate then lager for a month. We intend to bottle this batch and naturally carbonate so heres the question: Should we bulk lager or fill the bottles, let them carbonate and then lager? Seems like if we bulk lager for a month, we may not have enough residual yeast in there to bottle condition correctly. I'd rather not hit the bottles with yeast if we dont have to. Any advice?

--- End quote ---

I don't keg or have the capability to lager in bulk, so I have to bottle-carbonate then lager in the bottle. I can't speak to the bulk lagering side, but it does work perfectly fine if you lager in the bottle. Just let the bottles sit at least 3 weeks at room temp to carbonate before you lager them. Then you'll be fine.

nateo:
I've never lagered a tripel. Is there a reason you want to do that? I don't think that's typical for the style.

dannyjed:
I think keeping them at cellar temps after carbonation would be fine as well.

cheba420:
Just following Jamil's directions in the book. If theres no need to lager this one, I'd prefer not to as it will take up a bunch of space in my beer fridge. Precious space that I need for my kegs!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version