Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Off taste in new keg system - cleaning?  (Read 4960 times)

Offline ukolowiczd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Burlington, VT
Off taste in new keg system - cleaning?
« on: January 06, 2013, 06:21:01 pm »
I just hooked up a new two-tap faucet system in my fridge downstairs that's fantastic, but I am experiencing a plastic off-taste when I let the beer sit for a day or so in the lines (about 5 feet). Last night and tonight I even experimented with tasting the first couple ounces after sitting over night vs. getting it from the keg - a definite plastic taste vs. no plastic taste.

Is there any way to pre-clean these lines so they don't have this taste or do I just have to wait for the lines to get un-plasticy?

Offline smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
Re: Off taste in new keg system - cleaning?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 07:15:57 pm »
All of the standard-issue beer line I have ever bought from homebrew supply shops has been odorless and tasteless, even brand new.  Did it come from a homebrew supply shop or commercial beverage source?  Or from another source  like a hardware store?  You should not be able to taste the hose.
Steve K.
BJCP Beer & Mead Certified
Midnight Homebrewers' League
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org

Offline ukolowiczd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Burlington, VT
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 07:29:19 pm »
The hose came from morebeer.com of which I've ordered tons of stuff from and is a homebrew company.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 09:30:19 pm »
I friend of mine got some from morebeer once and had the same problem.  He tried for a long time to get rid of the smell/flavor but he never could.  He ended up getting new line free from morebeer and didn't have a problem with it.  I think sometimes they get bad lots from their supplier.  I would contact them and tell them about the problem and see what they'll do.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 07:40:29 am »
I had a similar experience a couple of years ago with some beer line from MoreBeer.
Couldn't get rid of the plastic taste and MoreBeer replaced the line for me.
The new line is fine.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline ukolowiczd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Burlington, VT
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 03:05:10 pm »
So I did a little experiment and switched out the plastic tasting hose from a hose from my local homebrew shop and low and behold no nasty plastic taste. I just smelled the hose that I took off - whew - stinks. It has "superflex pvc tubing" on the side rated at 212F, thus I'm not feeling this is food grade. I called morebeer.com and left a message but thanks for the tip about switching out the hoses. Beer tastes fine now.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 07:39:53 pm »
I've experienced that same issue with beverage tubing that I've purchased from both Nothern Brewer and Micromatic. 
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline dean_palmer

• Cellarman
    • The Beer Journals
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 08:56:39 am »
If it is not clearly marked as beverage line, it is questionable. As others have stated there have been bad batches of even the good stuff. New lines should need nothing but a rinse with water at most and should never be carrying taste and odor.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 11:15:27 am »
Not imparting flavors and odors is part of the test for food grade certification, so I'd guess it was a bad batch or a different supplier than normal.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958