General Category > Ingredients

To Hop Stand or not to Hop Stand?

(1/6) > >>

AmandaK:
Here's a recipe I'm developing for a 'lower' alcohol, huge flavor IPA.

5 lb Crisp MO
4 lb Rahr 2-row
6oz C20
---------
15 minute additions:
1/3 oz each Citra, Galaxy, Centennial & Mosaic
1/2 oz Simcoe

Possible Hop Stand (or I'll wuss out and do a 5 minute addition):
2/3 oz each Citra, Galaxy, Centennial & Mosaic

Dry Hop:
1 oz each Citra, Galaxy, Centennial, Mosaic & Simcoe
---------
US-05 or equivalent

My question is about the hop stand - if I did it for 30 minutes, wouldn't my 15 minute addition be more like a 45 minute addition? And the hop stand be like a 30 minute addition? Or is this just a bad idea in the first place?

I'd like to get this right since I'm using some pretty awesome hops and don't want to waste them on a mediocre batch.

Cheers!

blatz:
amanda - not passing the buck, but these two threads may help:

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=13803.msg174755#msg174755

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=13564.msg172270#msg172270

In a word, yes, you should do them, and yes, your late kettle additions will get further isomerization, though the rate falls off as the temperature drops, so it isn't exactly 30+15 minutes = 45 minutes.  Your 15 minute boil addition might be more like a 30 minute addition, and so on...

AmandaK:
Both very good reads! Thanks!

Although reading through the Ray Daniels pdf may have convinced me to do an 80 minute hop stand and a dry hop... maybe I'll leave out the Simcoe of the 15 min addition, add the other 4 hops at around 10 minutes left, hop stand for 80 minutes with the 5 hops, then dry hop with the same 5 hops for 3 days.

erockrph:
In general, if you're looking to really kick up the hop flavor and aroma, I would highly recommend a hop stand. You will get more bitterness, so you may want to move your late additions back by 5-10 minutes.

Unfortunately, there is some trial-and-error for dialing in the right level of hop bitterness for your process & system. A lower-gravity IPA may not be the best choice for your first attempt at calibrating your hop stand bitterness level, especially if you aren't using a 60-minute addition. A normal-gravity IPA is a little more forgiving if you overshoot your bitterness, especially if you have a good chunk of your IBU's coming at 60 minutes (early hops shouldn't be affected to any great extent by a hop stand).

Of course, if you don't care if you overshoot your bitterness a little bit, then a long hop stand is the way to go (I go for at least 60-80 minutes for IPA's). Lately I've been splitting my flameout hops in half. I add half before my hop stand and half before I start chilling. I can't say for sure if it makes that big of a difference, but I figure it gives me the best of both worlds.

blatz:

--- Quote from: AmandaK on January 07, 2013, 12:43:43 PM ---Both very good reads! Thanks!

Although reading through the Ray Daniels pdf may have convinced me to do an 80 minute hop stand and a dry hop... maybe I'll leave out the Simcoe of the 15 min addition, add the other 4 hops at around 10 minutes left, hop stand for 80 minutes with the 5 hops, then dry hop with the same 5 hops for 3 days.

--- End quote ---

why not just do a bittering addition (maybe 25-30 IBUs) with something clean - Warrior, Magnum, Apollo etc and then combine your listed 15 and hop stand amounts to do the extended hop stand?  that way you would truly get a sense of what a hop stand will do and then you can dial back from that in the future?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version