Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: To Hop Stand or not to Hop Stand?  (Read 10818 times)

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
Re: To Hop Stand or not to Hop Stand?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 12:41:59 pm »
You can also reduce the temp to 80 C (~180F) for the hop stand. That will limit isomerization and DMS production.

That's what I do.

Kai

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 12:55:32 pm »
You can also reduce the temp to 80 C (~180F) for the hop stand. That will limit isomerization and DMS production.

That's what I do.

Kai

+1

Offline hubie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 02:00:23 pm »

That's what I do.

Kai

Is there a minimum effective temperature?  Could you cold steep the hops overnight like some do with roasted grains?

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 11:47:06 pm »

That's what I do.

Kai

Is there a minimum effective temperature?  Could you cold steep the hops overnight like some do with roasted grains?
It depends on what kind of effect you are going for - different temps will have different effects.  So sure, you can cold steep the hops.  But it won't taste the same as doing a hot hop stand, for better or worse.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2013, 06:29:11 am »

That's what I do.

Kai

Ooo. I like this. Might even have to break out the old immersion chiller for the occasion.   8)
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
    • http://www.barfclub.org
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2013, 06:39:03 am »

That's what I do.

Kai

IME this is particularly useful if you get your bitterness dialed in with your boil additions. Below 180F really lets you concentrate on aroma and flavor contribution.
Michael P Mitchem
Beer and Ale Research Foundation (B.A.R.F.)
AHA Member since 2011

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2013, 07:32:12 am »

That's what I do.

Kai

Ooo. I like this. Might even have to break out the old immersion chiller for the occasion.   8)

If you've got a plate chiller, just circulate the hot wort through until the kettle is <180F, then cut the cooling , add hops, and start the whirlpool. Let stand 20-30 min or as long as it takes you to get the fermenter ready, then cool-in as usual.

This process mirrors a professional brewery. I only use the "Hop Stand" because I use an immersion chiller and have to whirlpool after cooling.

I've gone away from the typical knockout addition and use that portion of the charge in the Hop Stand.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2013, 08:03:45 am »

That's what I do.

Kai

If you've got a plate chiller, just circulate the hot wort through until the kettle is <180F, then cut the cooling , add hops, and start the whirlpool. Let stand 20-30 min or as long as it takes you to get the fermenter ready, then cool-in as usual.

This process mirrors a professional brewery. I only use the "Hop Stand" because I use an immersion chiller and have to whirlpool after cooling.

I've gone away from the typical knockout addition and use that portion of the charge in the Hop Stand.

I have a counterflow chiller set up where the wort drains (gravity, no pumps) from the kettle, to the CFC, then straight into the fermenter. Either way, the kettle I use is pretty wide (18-20" diameter), so I should get at least some heat loss if I decide that the IC is too much of a pain in my new apartment.
Amanda Burkemper

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2013, 10:13:48 am »
I can't wait to try this.  A question that occurs to me: is 180* sufficient to kill airborne spoilers?  I'm assuming a lid should be on the kettle during the stand at 180*, but more to the point, at what temperature does the wort transition to 'the cold side' and become vulnerable?

Steve
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2013, 10:15:48 am »
I can't wait to try this.  A question that occurs to me: is 180* sufficient to kill airborne spoilers?  I'm assuming a lid should be on the kettle during the stand at 180*, but more to the point, at what temperature does the wort transition to 'the cold side' and become vulnerable?

Steve

140* is the threshold, IIRC.

As one poster put it, you'll want to keep the lid on nonetheless because if you can smell the goodness on brewday, it won't be in the beer on drinking day. 

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2013, 06:40:44 am »
So now the real question becomes, to dry hop in the primary after fermentation is done OR to dry hop in the keg?

I'm leaning towards dry hop in the keg.
Amanda Burkemper

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2013, 07:08:10 am »
So now the real question becomes, to dry hop in the primary after fermentation is done OR to dry hop in the keg?

why not do both?  ;)
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline mmitchem

• Brewer
  • Suffolk, VA
    • http://www.barfclub.org
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2013, 07:17:37 am »

Dry hop in the primary at the very tail end of fermentation. Sweet yeast/hop oil magical flavor potion is created.
Michael P Mitchem
Beer and Ale Research Foundation (B.A.R.F.)
AHA Member since 2011

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2013, 08:06:30 am »

why not do both?  ;)

+1 -  more hops is rarely a bad thing because:

Dry hop in the primary at the very tail end of fermentation. Sweet yeast/hop oil magical flavor potion is created.

+1 to this, especially after reading "For the Love of Hops"
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer