General Category > Ingredients

To Hop Stand or not to Hop Stand?

<< < (2/6) > >>

AmandaK:

--- Quote from: erockrph on January 07, 2013, 12:50:18 PM ---A normal-gravity IPA is a little more forgiving if you overshoot your bitterness, especially if you have a good chunk of your IBU's coming at 60 minutes (early hops shouldn't be affected to any great extent by a hop stand).
--- End quote ---

What would you consider a 'normal gravity' IPA? I should mention I've been getting 85-90% efficiency, so that grain bill will be around 6.1%. With beer calculus, this works out to be ~68 IBU? Idk how to calc IBUs in a hop stand - perhaps 18 minutes?

blatz, I considered a 60 minute with something clean, but I don't want it to be too bitter (okay, I don't want it to be harsh). I would like something like Lagunitas DayTime, if either of you have had that.

beersk:

--- Quote from: AmandaK on January 07, 2013, 01:16:32 PM ---

blatz, I considered a 60 minute with something clean, but I don't want it to be too bitter (okay, I don't want it to be harsh). I would like something like Lagunitas DayTime, if either of you have had that.

--- End quote ---
My suggestion would be to first wort hop to 30 IBUs or less of a clean bittering hop. Then do your late/flame out additions. Hop stands are awesome. I believe Stone does this sort of thing for most all their beers, and most of us know how awesome those are.

yso191:
What is a hop stand?

Steve

erockrph:

--- Quote from: yso191 on January 07, 2013, 03:35:34 PM ---What is a hop stand?

Steve

--- End quote ---

After adding your flameout hops you let your hops do a hot steep prior to chilling. This really increases hop flavor, but you will get some further hop utilization as well. Typical times range from 30 to 80 minutes.

erockrph:

--- Quote from: AmandaK on January 07, 2013, 01:16:32 PM ---What would you consider a 'normal gravity' IPA? I should mention I've been getting 85-90% efficiency, so that grain bill will be around 6.1%. With beer calculus, this works out to be ~68 IBU? Idk how to calc IBUs in a hop stand - perhaps 18 minutes?

--- End quote ---

Gotcha. I think I misread your original email and assumed you were going in the "session" range. It's hard to judge how a hop stand is going to effect your utilization without experimenting on your system. If you're in the 6+ percent range, you should be fine just letting it ride. It's hard to over hop when you're getting to that range, especially if you're not bittering with Columbus or Chinook.

That is my palate however. YMMV

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version