General Category > General Homebrew Discussion

Re-use of dry hops

(1/3) > >>

pinnah:
Just wondering if anyone has actually experimented with reusing hops that were previously used for dryhopping?  What experience could you pass along?

Seems, in theory, that the bittering compounds should still be intact. 

Normally with a freezer stuffed with hops, I would not consider this.

But I recently kicked a keg of West Coast Bitter that went super fast, and the dryhop package was an ounce each of Columbus, Amarillo, Simcoe and Citra. I am interested in brewing this bitter a lot, and with those trademarks at the end there...it just got me thinking about recycle.

Thoughts?

tomsawyer:
The part that makes them special is now much reduced.  Bittering hops aren't expensive.

dean_palmer:

--- Quote from: tomsawyer on January 08, 2013, 06:02:25 AM ---The part that makes them special is now much reduced.  Bittering hops aren't expensive.

--- End quote ---

+1 After all the control we need to have in our craft,  using previously used hops would add a huge variable for little savings and if the beer turned out great you'd have a hard time duplicating your efforts.

davidgzach:
+1.  It's a noble thought, ::), but the disadvantages far outweigh the advantages IMHO.

Dave

jamminbrew:
Do a side by side experiment, see how it comes out. No reason not to, if you want to re-use them, but like the above poster said, you may not be able to duplicate the results. But I say try it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version