Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: cider  (Read 1600 times)

Offline jfin

• 1st Kit
cider
« on: January 08, 2013, 08:05:52 am »
I am brewing cider this week i would actually like to do 2 batches but dont have the room.  I can't see any reason why I cant freeze 5 gallons of soft cider to use later for hard cider.  I usually use White Labs cider yeast, so I'm not using any naturally occuring yeast already presant in the soft cider to ferment.  is my thinking correct on freezing?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: cider
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 08:08:32 am »
Sounds like a plan... ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 08:47:35 am »
sweet cider makers who do not pasturize freeze for longer storage so you should be just fine.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 09:12:11 am »
I buy all my cider already frozen.  It's the only way I can find unpasteurized cider around here.  I usually let it thaw until there are just a few small ice chunks left and then add it to the bucket and pitch my yeast.  My logic (which may be flawed) is that I don't want the cider to warm to room temp so that anything in it can get going.  So, I pitch it with just a touch if ice left and let it free rise to fermentation temps.  I'm guessing that the yeast get going just as fast as any bacteria in the cider and out compete them.  All I can say is that it seems to work for me (I use Kolsch yeast most of the time though).

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 09:46:07 am »
I am brewing cider this week i would actually like to do 2 batches but dont have the room.  I can't see any reason why I cant freeze 5 gallons of soft cider to use later for hard cider.  I usually use White Labs cider yeast, so I'm not using any naturally occuring yeast already presant in the soft cider to ferment.  is my thinking correct on freezing?
Many orchards freeze their cider to store before sale.  Also, the natural yeasts will survive freezing anyway.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958