Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop production in North Carolina  (Read 5075 times)

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
Re: Hop production in North Carolina
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 12:47:42 pm »
The OCB says commercial hops are grown between 30 and 52 degrees. The 52 would be inclusive of the Worcestershire hops region in England. I don't know what the 30 would include.

45 - 55 includes the European fields, and that may be the Haas groups viewpoint. I am interested if you tell us more about the Haas Hops Academy. A little envy too.

For Nateo - wine grapes were grown as far north as Scotland, then the Little Ice Age happened.

30-40 would include South Africa, Argentina, Australia, and NZ (the north island, anyway. I'm not sure where they grow hops in NZ).

I've read about people planting wine grapes again in Scotland. I don't think it's really taken off yet.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 12:50:38 pm by nateo »
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 01:37:34 pm »
I don't know what the 30 would include.
Jacksonville, FL - I'm sure local climate and altitude matter too. 
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 01:51:06 pm »
The OCB says commercial hops are grown between 30 and 52 degrees. The 52 would be inclusive of the Worcestershire hops region in England. I don't know what the 30 would include.

45 - 55 includes the European fields, and that may be the Haas groups viewpoint. I am interested if you tell us more about the Haas Hops Academy. A little envy too.

For Nateo - wine grapes were grown as far north as Scotland, then the Little Ice Age happened.

30-40 would include South Africa, Argentina, Australia, and NZ (the north island, anyway. I'm not sure where they grow hops in NZ).

I've read about people planting wine grapes again in Scotland. I don't think it's really taken off yet.
North end of the south Island. There are towns named Nelson, Riwaka, Matueka so it must be the area, -41.7. Australia is in Tasmania and Victoria, also about that latitude.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 02:10:05 pm »

The Hops Academy was a well spent couple of days; it was suprisingly informative.  I learned more than I thought I would.  Hop Union also has a Hop & Brew School.  I have not attended, but a close friend did, and another friend is instrumental in organizing it.  Both are very informative.  The Haas Academy has a more professional tone, and very little beer sampling - Hop Union has a more relaxed tone and beer is served all day. http://www.hopunion.com/29_HopBrewSchool.cfm?p8=open
 http://www.barthhaasgroup.com/en/about-us/hops-academy

Great people at both.  The Haas Academy has only one event for all participants, while the Hop Union has two: one for Pro brewers and another for Home Brewers.

I have digital copies of the curriculum if there is something specific you're interested in. 

Steve
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 02:13:42 pm by yso191 »
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 02:29:51 pm »
Thanks Steve, maybe someday if I can swing the trip out there. The bucket list keeps getting longer.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 03:52:16 pm »
At roughly 35* N. latitude they are significantly out of the band of 45-55 degrees which will result in poor hop cone maturation.  Obviously that would effect flavor, but I doubt that it would ever become in vogue.  Or commercially profitable for that matter.

But maybe they are experimenting with varieties that are modified to develop normally outside the prefered band - who knows?

Steve

You do know that commercial hops were grown in SF at one time, Sacramento, and Sonoma county? These are in the 37-38 parallel range. The reason they are not grown now is real estate in SF and Sacramento, and wine growing in Sonoma. CA is covered at some length in the Hop Atlas.

They stopped growing hops in Sonoma County around 1960 or a little before due to downy mildew and the other agronomic pressures.  For proof there is this place.

http://www.hopkilnwinery.com/home/

Hey, I made a detour to that winery just because of its name.  They had some hop bines growing outside with fresh (not wet) hops when we were there in October a couple years ago.  Beautiful building.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2013, 04:40:24 pm »
At roughly 35* N. latitude they are significantly out of the band of 45-55 degrees which will result in poor hop cone maturation.  Obviously that would effect flavor, but I doubt that it would ever become in vogue.  Or commercially profitable for that matter.

But maybe they are experimenting with varieties that are modified to develop normally outside the prefered band - who knows?

Steve

You do know that commercial hops were grown in SF at one time, Sacramento, and Sonoma county? These are in the 37-38 parallel range. The reason they are not grown now is real estate in SF and Sacramento, and wine growing in Sonoma. CA is covered at some length in the Hop Atlas.

They stopped growing hops in Sonoma County around 1960 or a little before due to downy mildew and the other agronomic pressures.  For proof there is this place.

http://www.hopkilnwinery.com/home/

Hey, I made a detour to that winery just because of its name.  They had some hop bines growing outside with fresh (not wet) hops when we were there in October a couple years ago.  Beautiful building.

pretty good wine as well. They have an un-oaked chardonnay that may be the only chardonnay that I really like.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce