General Category > Equipment and Software

butterfly vs. ball

<< < (2/5) > >>

tschmidlin:
Thanks all.  I ordered a couple of butterfly valves, mostly for sanitary reasons.

punatic:
You didn't study fluid mechanics in the engineering core?

tschmidlin:

--- Quote from: punatic on January 09, 2013, 12:28:56 AM ---You didn't study fluid mechanics in the engineering core?

--- End quote ---
Yes, but that was a long time ago and I'm not worried about the fluid dynamics, just sanitation and blockage.  But if there is some factor I haven't considered I figured someone here would bring it up. :)

punatic:
Ball valves have smooth edges, conducive to one smooth flow path.  Butterfly valves have a cutting edge, splitting the flow and providing a catch point surface.  Gate valves on the otherhand provide finer tuning...

kylekohlmorgen:

--- Quote from: punatic on January 09, 2013, 01:42:13 AM ---Ball valves have smooth edges, conducive to one smooth flow path.  Butterfly valves have a cutting edge, splitting the flow and providing a catch point surface.  Gate valves on the otherhand provide finer tuning...

--- End quote ---

That's why butterfly valves are poor for regulating flow from a higher-pressure pump - they tend to wear and leak. I don't think a March pump would cause issues though.

They do have to be a LOT easier to clean than ball valves. Tom - have you used the new valves yet?

I don't think you could keep a gate valve clean/sanitary.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version