General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

The skinny on Denny's 1450

(1/3) > >>

beerlord:
I've only used 1450 once before and it was good but it was weird as far as it's activity.
First time I used LHBS yeast and made a small starter.  This time I used washed yeast and I made a 2000 ml starter for a 1.069 beer.  Usually my yeast starters are beasts, go crazy and are easy to see activity for 3-4 days.
But both times, the 1450 starts anemic, and isn't that volatile and visible activity is only 2 days. Now it's too early for me to care enough to check gravity but is this what I should be seeing?

deepsouth:
i have a thread over in extract brewing about this yeast.  i'm fermenting a beer i brewed a week ago today and i just checked it upstairs and i'm still getting much much much activity.  to the point i'm almost shocked.  i didn't take an OG, but according to beersmith, i should have been at 1.054, so nothing high gravity. 

here is the thread with some add'l information.....

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=14261.0

deepsouth:
i just took this video this morning....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFStc6R4syM

ibru:
I brewed an APA in early December with 1450 (dated sometime in October). It fermented around 60 degrees and took about 10 days to finish. It had gravities of 1.058 and 1.012. I really like how it brought more of the malt flavor out. I reused the yeast in a brown porter on December 29. It started at 1.050 and was sitting at 1.022 last night, there is still some activity so I'm hoping it's going to finish below 1.015. I moved the fermenter into a warmer room and sloshed it around a bit in hoping to keep it going.

ynotbrusum:

--- Quote from: ibru on January 09, 2013, 08:45:32 AM ---I brewed an APA in early December with 1450 (dated sometime in October). It fermented around 60 degrees and took about 10 days to finish. It had gravities of 1.058 and 1.012. I really like how it brought more of the malt flavor out. I reused the yeast in a brown porter on December 29. It started at 1.050 and was sitting at 1.022 last night, there is still some activity so I'm hoping it's going to finish below 1.015. I moved the fermenter into a warmer room and sloshed it around a bit in hoping to keep it going.

--- End quote ---

It was always a beast for me.  Maybe temperature of the fermentor, or the first pack was slightly mishandled along the way (too warm or cold) and then in the wash cycle, it was diluted down to having fewer cells available?

Otherwise, I don't know what to say.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version