General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

The skinny on Denny's 1450

<< < (3/3)

tschmidlin:

--- Quote from: deepsouth on January 10, 2013, 07:16:34 AM ---i brewed on 1/1/13 and i'm still getting a bubble in the airlock every eight seconds. 

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: beerlord on January 10, 2013, 09:57:04 AM ---Checked mine again this morning and I'm only getting airlock activity every 25 seconds or so.

--- End quote ---
How many times do we have to say it?  Airlock activity is not a good indicator of yeast activity.  Check your gravity before you worry about what the yeast is doing.

deepsouth:

--- Quote from: tschmidlin on January 10, 2013, 11:07:09 AM ---
--- Quote from: deepsouth on January 10, 2013, 07:16:34 AM ---i brewed on 1/1/13 and i'm still getting a bubble in the airlock every eight seconds. 

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: beerlord on January 10, 2013, 09:57:04 AM ---Checked mine again this morning and I'm only getting airlock activity every 25 seconds or so.

--- End quote ---
How many times do we have to say it?  Airlock activity is not a good indicator of yeast activity.  Check your gravity before you worry about what the yeast is doing.

--- End quote ---

i actually hadn't heard that, so thanks.

what about other than airlock activity, like this....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFStc6R4syM

tschmidlin:

--- Quote from: deepsouth on January 10, 2013, 11:26:15 AM ---
--- Quote from: tschmidlin on January 10, 2013, 11:07:09 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

i actually hadn't head that, so thanks.

what about other than airlock activity, like this....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFStc6R4syM

--- End quote ---
Sorry, I just assume everyone reads everything :)

Sure, in the video you can see the yeast is doing something.  Airlock activity is just gas coming out of solution, maybe because the yeast is generating more, maybe because of temperature changes, maybe because it hasn't reached equilibrium yet.  One bubble every 25s could be any of those things, mine will bubble that fast or faster long after the beer has reached terminal gravity.  Even every 8s doesn't tell you much.  That's not to say you should ignore the airlock in these cases, but if it slows down then the yeast is done or nearly done.  Check gravity, wait a couple of days, check it again.  That will tell you what is going on.

deepsouth:
thanks tom!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version