General Category > General Homebrew Discussion

Beer Tasting - Suggestions?

(1/5) > >>

MrNate:
Ok, not sure of the best place to ask this, but here goes: I have been volunteered to host a beer tasting next month. For a group of women. Any suggestions on what to serve? Do I try to go the "gateway beer" route or do you think it'd be OK to throw in a HopDevil or DFH-n?

Also, I have no clue what to expect in terms of alcohol tolerance. Not trying to be sexist, but I just have no clue how to estimate what a reasonable amount of beer would be.

Any suggestions as to what to serve, and how many rounds is reasonable?

denny:
My wife is a tiny thing who drinks pretty much only my 70+ IBU, 8+% ABV beers.  When I brought home a 10%, 100+ IBU IIPA and warned her about it, her response was pretty much "so what?".  Now, she's not a heavy drinker, but she likes the flavorful, bitter beers.  And many of the women beer drinkers I know around here are like that.  So I wouldn't make any gender based decisions.  Just get a variety of good beers and you should have something that will cover everyone.

hokerer:

--- Quote from: denny on February 26, 2010, 10:26:51 AM ---Just get a variety of good beers and you should have something that will cover everyone.

--- End quote ---

and lean toward having too much vs not enough.  As long as they're "good beers", that means more for you afterwards

bluesman:

--- Quote from: hokerer on February 26, 2010, 10:32:51 AM ---As long as they're "good beers", that means more for you afterwards

--- End quote ---

+1

MrNate:
Denny, I do see your point. On the other hand, this is New Jersey, not the craft beer capital of America. Yes, it's a regional and gender-biased opinion, but from what I've seen of the group of women my wife hangs out with it tends to hold true. So I apologize for the misogyny, but if my opinion happened to be correct would you still recommend the same thing?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version