Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BJCP tasting score  (Read 4391 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
BJCP tasting score
« on: January 07, 2013, 08:28:00 pm »
Just got my tasting score from Sept.  Scored 80. If I read the BJCP site correctly, this would qualify me for National rank if I had more experience points?  Am I reading this right? 

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: BJCP tasting score
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 08:41:36 pm »
80 pts, that is great! You need and 80 on the essay, can't remember if you did the essay, if not you can now. Then get those experience points and you are National.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 10:27:36 pm »
for a guy who "crammed" and thought he did "OK" that is a great score...

no way to become National without a written exam, but at least you qualify to TAKE said written exam with that 80!

Congrats!

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 07:12:25 am »
Thanks. Yes, I see now that 80 plus 10 exp points qualifies me to write the proficiency exam. Not sure I will ever find one around here. Same for judging. Not many competitions around here. 

Yes, I did cram and I still think about things I would have written differently.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 07:51:06 am »
Thanks. Yes, I see now that 80 plus 10 exp points qualifies me to write the proficiency exam. Not sure I will ever find one around here. Same for judging. Not many competitions around here. 

Yes, I did cram and I still think about things I would have written differently.

If you really want to spend the time and money you can do some in the US. I judged with a guy from Ontario last year. You might schedule some of your work trips so that you can hit an exam or judging session on the weekend.

There are some exams in SE MI once or twice a year.

Edit - It would be a shame to let that 80 tasting score just set there.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 09:07:46 am »

If you really want to spend the time and money you can do some in the US. I judged with a guy from Ontario last year. You might schedule some of your work trips so that you can hit an exam or judging session on the weekend.

Yeah, I sort of figured I'd have to hop over the border to find much.  Problem with work is that if I'm in the US all week, convincing my wife that I need to be there on the weekend to judge beer could be difficult.  But, if there are comps going on in MI that need judges, can you let me know?  I think there's a big one coming up sometime in 2014???

Offline james

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 09:47:28 am »
I just got my lastest tasting score back a couple days ago from the test I took in July when I was in Michigan.   Looks like the results are still all over the map, still better than when I took the legacy and it was 10-11 months from exam to results.

Scored high enough to bring my composite score up to 80 a few more experience points and I'll be national.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 09:49:50 am »
Awesome!!

If you ever want to organize a BJCP competition up there, you can get extra points for the organizational work too.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 11:18:06 am »

Yeah, I sort of figured I'd have to hop over the border to find much.  Problem with work is that if I'm in the US all week, convincing my wife that I need to be there on the weekend to judge beer could be difficult.  But, if there are comps going on in MI that need judges, can you let me know?  I think there's a big one coming up sometime in 2014???
This one might be something you could talk your wife into for a weekend. Frankenmuth is a touristy town that some enjoy.

This comp is big enough that they have had Gordon Strong and John Palmer as judges and the Saturday night guest speakers.

http://crhbc.com/pages/competition.php
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 07:03:35 pm »

This one might be something you could talk your wife into for a weekend. Frankenmuth is a touristy town that some enjoy.

This comp is big enough that they have had Gordon Strong and John Palmer as judges and the Saturday night guest speakers.

Well, that is one frustrating website that they use to register.  Wouldn't accept my password suggestion even though it clearly met their criteria, wouldn't load tabs, told you to hit buttons that weren't on the screen.  I'll send the organizer a direct note but I sure as heck couldn't get anywhere on the site that they direct you to.

Not sure I want to go to Frankenmuth anyway.  Not sure I want my wife shopping for more Christmas stuff...

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 07:17:00 pm »

Well, that is one frustrating website that they use to register.  Wouldn't accept my password suggestion even though it clearly met their criteria, wouldn't load tabs, told you to hit buttons that weren't on the screen.  I'll send the organizer a direct note but I sure as heck couldn't get anywhere on the site that they direct you to.

Not sure I want to go to Frankenmuth anyway.  Not sure I want my wife shopping for more Christmas stuff...

Don't know if it is even turned on yet. Contact them.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 06:30:05 am »
Is it normally in March or May?  Their website says March but the W.E.B. site says May. Guess I will wait and see if they reply.
Thanks again for the lead.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 08:13:36 am »
Is it normally in March or May?  Their website says March but the W.E.B. site says May. Guess I will wait and see if they reply.
Thanks again for the lead.

The homebrew competition is the first of March this year. Judging takes place upstairs at a brewpub, and is  petty good time.

The World Expo of Beer is the commercial beer tasting/judging that takes place in May. I have never been to that one.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild