Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing This Weekend - 1/11 Edition  (Read 11360 times)

Offline rbclay

• Assistant Brewer
  • Northfield, MN
Re: What's Brewing This Weekend - 1/11 Edition
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2013, 07:49:12 am »
Made a Munich Dunkel yesterday. First time playing with my new bk/mash tun so I did a step mash. It was a chilly but fun day!
Randy Clay
Milltown Mashers
https://www.facebook.com/groups/404574082932834/
BJCP Certified

Offline sailortodd

• Cellarman
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2013, 08:52:39 am »
I'm in the middle of my first double brew day, brewing two batches of Irish Red to give them some conditioning time before St Patrick's Day. Planning on them both being gone by March 18...
Beer: so much more than just a breakfast drink.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2013, 03:53:55 pm »
Just a BoPils with a little Vienna to mix things up a bit...
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2013, 04:41:21 pm »
Today I emptied a keg of black IPA and put an English barleywine on tap, then bottled the remaining couple bottles of oaked IPA and put a German pilsner on tap. 
There was quite a bit of cleaning and sanitizing involved even though it sounds pretty simple.
I'm looking forward to the new brews.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline kraftwerk

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2013, 06:18:01 pm »
Pineapple double IPA with Citra, Nelson Sauvin and Galaxy hops.
Beer is like music. I don't have a favorite. I'll take a well-made example of any style!

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2013, 06:25:32 pm »
This weekend will be 11 gallons of strong golden ale split between the ardennes yeast and 100% brett.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
What's Brewing This Weekend - 1/11 Edition
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2013, 06:48:00 pm »
I screwed up my back at work and they won't let me work for the next couple weeks, so it looks like brewing time!  Ground grain today for a pils and an IPA.  I'm gonna experiment with a significantly higher sulfate level than I normally use for IPA.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2013, 05:57:20 am »
I screwed up my back at work and they won't let me work for the next couple weeks, so it looks like brewing time!  Ground grain today for a pils and an IPA.  I'm gonna experiment with a significantly higher sulfate level than I normally use for IPA.

Get well soon!  Be careful brewing, don't want you to mess it up even worse.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2013, 08:59:19 pm »
Double batch brewday today.  5 gallons of ESB and 6 gallons of a golden ale-ish belgian for a 55 gallon barrel project for my club.  Primary with 3522 and brett and bugs in the barrel. 
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2013, 11:20:30 am »
did a 5 gal of doppelbock yesterday, the first time i made this is i did a triple decoction, not this time. just a single infusion mash and a little melanoidin malt. hope it turns out. put it on a yeast cake that was sitting under a smoked alt that was ready to transfer so it took off sometime in the night. going strong this morning.

Offline Herminator

• Assistant Brewer
  • Beer | Metal | No Masters
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2013, 03:29:33 pm »
Brewed up an IPA on Saturday.  Really happy with the process and the numbers.  1.060 OG and it is bubbling like crazy.  I actually had to get up every hour during the middle of the night to refill the airlock with solution because it kept blowing it all out. finally I just put a blowoff tube on after I got up this morning. 

Smells awesome.

Extract - 5 gallons - Pale extract with 30L, warrior bittering hops with late additions of centennial, amarillo and falconers flight. 
Hermen D.
Muerte Brewing

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2013, 06:16:36 pm »
Just brewed a batch of porter. This is the first time I've rebrewed a batch with just a couple of small tweaks (mainly water adjustments) to really dial in a recipe, so I'm pretty excited to see how it turns out.

I also baked my first spent-grain bread as well. Nothing beats a relaxing day in the kitchen :)
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2013, 01:11:38 pm »
Wit beer grain bill, fresh lime zest, fresh spearmint, and chico yeast.  Could either be really good, or really bad :P

that sounds really interesting - I make a mojito mead that is killer, please keep us posted on your results.

Ok, I didn't forget about keep you updated on this beer, Blatz.  I ended up using 3 oz. of lime zest(12 limes!) with 5 minutes left in the boil.  Then I dry-hopped with 11g of fresh wintergreen mint to taste.  It is a P.I.A to find good, fresh spearmint in Nebraska, especially in the dead of winter!

Our local brewery, Empyrean, hosts a local competetion, called BeerQuest, quarterly.  21 entrants, trimmed down to 10 for a public serving/taste-off. The theme this time was fruit/spice "Spring" ales.

Before hand, the 10 remaining brewers get together and vote on their favorite brew.  The Mojito Wheat won Brewer's Choice!

I got edged out in the public balloting by 7pts to a Green Tea Pale ale.  We were both tied with 2 ballots to go!  Surprisingly had a lot of good feedback on the beer.  I was worried about the interplay of the spices, especially the mint, because I had never used either ingredient.  I will definitely be brewing this again! 

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2013, 01:15:27 pm »
sounds good and congrats!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2013, 01:42:08 pm »
Thanks!  I'll post the recipe in the wiki when I get a chance.  Don't have it with me at the moment.