General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

Fermenting a Barleywine

<< < (2/5) > >>

Joe Sr.:
I've never had a problem with beer that big attenuating as long as it's pitched on the cake of a smaller beer.  I've gotten great attenuation with yeasts such as Windsor, which is not necessarily a great attenuator.

I've never done additional aeration after fermentation begins.

As far as not making a small batch, I say do the whole 5 gallons.  Bottle it and age it.

I've found with my strong ales that they are always gone sooner than I would like, even though I cracked a the last bottle of a 2006 barleywine on Christmas eve.

davidgzach:
Thanks for the replies.  I planned on a monster pitch upfront and actually a little more than what Mr Malty says being it's slurry.  I'll leave it at that and come back if there are any issues!

MTN-Where do I go about getting a flow meter?

Joe-You may have just talked me in to the full 5G batch!  I was just the recipient of 3 free cases of Grolsch bottles so I can afford to tie up 2 of them for a while since I mostly keg.

Dave

morticaixavier:

--- Quote from: davidgzach on January 10, 2013, 08:55:48 AM ---Thanks for the replies.  I planned on a monster pitch upfront and actually a little more than what Mr Malty says being it's slurry.  I'll leave it at that and come back if there are any issues!

MTN-Where do I go about getting a flow meter?

Joe-You may have just talked me in to the full 5G batch!  I was just the recipient of 3 free cases of Grolsch bottles so I can afford to tie up 2 of them for a while since I mostly keg.

Dave

--- End quote ---

yeah, go for the whole 5 gallons.

tom:
I usually do 1 minute per 5 gallons of ale, 2 for lagers or big beers.  You can re-oxygenate up to 24 hours later.  I don't have a flow meter.  I just turn it up until the bubbles start coming. 

I wouldn't trust the Grolsch bottles myself.

And do you have a way to control the fermentation temperature?  Lots of yeast with lots of sugar and oxygen make lots of heat.

davidgzach:

--- Quote from: tom on January 10, 2013, 10:52:17 AM ---I usually do 1 minute per 5 gallons of ale, 2 for lagers or big beers.  You can re-oxygenate up to 24 hours later.  I don't have a flow meter.  I just turn it up until the bubbles start coming. 

I wouldn't trust the Grolsch bottles myself.

And do you have a way to control the fermentation temperature?  Lots of yeast with lots of sugar and oxygen make lots of heat.

--- End quote ---

Why do you not trust Grolsch bottles?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version