General Category > General Homebrew Discussion

Hop production in North Carolina

<< < (5/5)

jeffy:

--- Quote from: hopfenundmalz on January 11, 2013, 11:30:04 AM ---
--- Quote from: yso191 on January 11, 2013, 10:56:48 AM ---At roughly 35* N. latitude they are significantly out of the band of 45-55 degrees which will result in poor hop cone maturation.  Obviously that would effect flavor, but I doubt that it would ever become in vogue.  Or commercially profitable for that matter.

But maybe they are experimenting with varieties that are modified to develop normally outside the prefered band - who knows?

Steve

--- End quote ---

You do know that commercial hops were grown in SF at one time, Sacramento, and Sonoma county? These are in the 37-38 parallel range. The reason they are not grown now is real estate in SF and Sacramento, and wine growing in Sonoma. CA is covered at some length in the Hop Atlas.

They stopped growing hops in Sonoma County around 1960 or a little before due to downy mildew and the other agronomic pressures.  For proof there is this place.

http://www.hopkilnwinery.com/home/

--- End quote ---

Hey, I made a detour to that winery just because of its name.  They had some hop bines growing outside with fresh (not wet) hops when we were there in October a couple years ago.  Beautiful building.

morticaixavier:

--- Quote from: jeffy on January 11, 2013, 03:52:16 PM ---
--- Quote from: hopfenundmalz on January 11, 2013, 11:30:04 AM ---
--- Quote from: yso191 on January 11, 2013, 10:56:48 AM ---At roughly 35* N. latitude they are significantly out of the band of 45-55 degrees which will result in poor hop cone maturation.  Obviously that would effect flavor, but I doubt that it would ever become in vogue.  Or commercially profitable for that matter.

But maybe they are experimenting with varieties that are modified to develop normally outside the prefered band - who knows?

Steve

--- End quote ---

You do know that commercial hops were grown in SF at one time, Sacramento, and Sonoma county? These are in the 37-38 parallel range. The reason they are not grown now is real estate in SF and Sacramento, and wine growing in Sonoma. CA is covered at some length in the Hop Atlas.

They stopped growing hops in Sonoma County around 1960 or a little before due to downy mildew and the other agronomic pressures.  For proof there is this place.

http://www.hopkilnwinery.com/home/

--- End quote ---

Hey, I made a detour to that winery just because of its name.  They had some hop bines growing outside with fresh (not wet) hops when we were there in October a couple years ago.  Beautiful building.

--- End quote ---

pretty good wine as well. They have an un-oaked chardonnay that may be the only chardonnay that I really like.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version