Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Imperial Mild? Really...  (Read 8749 times)

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
Imperial Mild? Really...
« on: February 26, 2010, 10:32:12 am »
I'm hoping the name of this kit is meant as a joke...

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/imperial-mild-all-grain-kit.html

or maybe somebody from NB was reading the 'Black IPA' thread a few weeks ago.
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: Imperial Mild? Really...
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 10:40:56 am »
I'm hoping the name of this kit is meant as a joke...

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/imperial-mild-all-grain-kit.html

or maybe somebody from NB was reading the 'Black IPA' thread a few weeks ago.

Whaddya mean a joke?  Anything with "imperial" in front of just has to be better, right?  And if you want even better than that, call it "double imperial".

Seriously, though, kinda brings up one of my pet peeves.  Why is it that so many people have to mention the ABV and IBU of what they're drinking (can understand it for something you've made).  I think if you feel the need to talk about those all the time, maybe you're not drinking for the right reasons.  Sorta like the guy who goes in and order the super-thermonuclear-extra-double-hot wings not because he actually likes them but because he thinks it makes him look like a real tough-guy.
Joe

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 10:47:29 am »
In a lot of ways it sounds like a throwback mild to me, like the Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby Mild from England that comes in at 6%
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 11:17:09 am »
In a lot of ways it sounds like a throwback mild to me, like the Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby Mild from England that comes in at 6%

Yes, then why be super lame and call it an "Imperial Mild"?  Just call it a traditional mild...seriously, I remember a thread about this very topic over at NB...such a ridiculous name for a beer.  Black IPA is another one that really gets to me too...
Jesse

Offline mikeypedersen

• Brewer
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 11:37:24 am »
Yep, I think it's pretty lame too.  How about a blonde imperial stout?  ;D

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 11:52:08 am »
Years ago, in the days of rec.crafts.brewing on Usenet, there was discussion of a pale stout....you can imagine how that went over!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 11:56:10 am »
Years ago, in the days of rec.crafts.brewing on Usenet, there was discussion of a pale stout....you can imagine how that went over!

Couldnt you just add more flaked barley, add some oats and leave out the roasted barley?

Did anyone actually try it?
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 12:00:59 pm »

Yes, then why be super lame and call it an "Imperial Mild"?  Just call it a traditional mild...seriously, I remember a thread about this very topic over at NB...such a ridiculous name for a beer.  Black IPA is another one that really gets to me too...
Yep, I think it's pretty lame too.  How about a blonde imperial stout?  ;D

Thanks - that was my point Beersk!  If you are going to Imperialize a Mild, its not a mild anymore is it?  Not that I'm a stickler for style guidelines, but try to pick a name that fits...
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 12:01:16 pm »
at the end of the day, it's still just beer so i wouldn't get too worked up over what name it's given.  

truth is, a lot of the newer generation of brewers and homebrewers are used to the term "imperial" and it adds meaning to the description.

i started one of the "black ipa" threads though, so i, obviously, don't have any hang ups about what i call a beer.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 12:02:03 pm »

that sounds like a good example of an "imperial mild".
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 12:02:39 pm »

Couldnt you just add more flaked barley, add some oats and leave out the roasted barley?

I would drink it!  I don't know about the name, but its sounds like a tasty brew...
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 12:04:52 pm »

IMO, a stout is defined by the roasty flavor from the roast barley.  If you don't have that, how will you make taste like a stout?  Otherwise, you're just arbitrarily redefining they style, kind of like looking at a pig and claiming it's a poodle!  And I don't recall if anyone actually tried it and claimed it was a stout.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 12:49:18 pm »

IMO, a stout is defined by the roasty flavor from the roast barley.  If you don't have that, how will you make taste like a stout?  Otherwise, you're just arbitrarily redefining they style, kind of like looking at a pig and claiming it's a poodle!  And I don't recall if anyone actually tried it and claimed it was a stout.

I agree 100%  but I'm thinking of trying something like what I posted.
Worst that could happen is I have to grind and steep some roasted barley  ;D
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 12:50:42 pm »
I've made more than a few pale ales with flaked barley and oats, but I certainly wouldn't call them stouts! 

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tankdeer

• Brewer
  • Portland, OR
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 12:56:43 pm »
I made an Imperial Mild once... I called it a Brown Ale.  :D
No TV and no beer make Homer something something...