Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Soapy off flavor  (Read 15845 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Soapy off flavor
« on: January 10, 2013, 08:08:59 am »
My last 2 IPAs have both had a soapy off flavor. I realize that this can be caused by autolysis but I don't think this is the case. The only thing different I did in these last 2 recipes was swap our cascades for centennial since I was out. The cascades weren't super fresh but they smelled fine.

Anyone have any ideas?

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Soapy off flavor
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 08:20:19 am »
Any change in sanitizing/rinsing process?  Did you repitch slurry?  That's all I got.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
Soapy off flavor
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 08:22:17 am »
They were from two different pitches - in fact, I switched yeast strains on the last one. Definitely not a contamination flavor I am picking up.

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 08:25:06 am »
I think some hops come off as a little soapy. Maybe the floral aroma of the cascades smells a little soapy.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 08:51:11 am »
I think some hops come off as a little soapy. Maybe the floral aroma of the cascades smells a little soapy.

Sometimes a particular grain/hop combo will bring out a weird flavor. I recently did a Riwaka IPA and ended up using CaraMunich III for my crystal malt. I ended up getting a very distinct sunflower seed flavor that seemed to be coming from a combo of some savory notes from the hops and graininess from the malt. Maybe the floral notes of the hops is combining with something else (grain bill, water chemistry, yeast byproduct, etc.) to end up with something that seems soapy in the finished beer.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 09:46:22 am »
Noonan stated that higher sulfate levels balance hop soapy flavors.

"Hoppy beers sometimes have an unpleasant soapy flavor. Calcium sulfate eliminates soapy flavors and accentuates a clean, piquant hop bitterness."

http://www.byo.com/stories/article/indices/56-water/313-brewing-water-tips-from-the-pros
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 10:33:28 am »
I have a Rogue Yellow Snow last night and it definitely has a soapy flavor. So I'd say it's coming from the hops and sulfate level of the water. That style of IPA is not how I roll.
Jesse

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
Soapy off flavor
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 11:02:25 am »

"Hoppy beers sometimes have an unpleasant soapy flavor. Calcium sulfate eliminates soapy flavors and accentuates a clean, piquant hop bitterness."

http://www.byo.com/stories/article/indices/56-water/313-brewing-water-tips-from-the-pros

I'm betting you hit the nail. I have not had my water tested in a long, long time and the local water is sourced differently.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 11:06:33 am »

I'm betting you hit the nail. I have not had my water tested in a long, long time and the local water is sourced differently.

You could add some gypsum to water to dissolve well, then do a little experiment adding sulfated water to a pint.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
Soapy off flavor
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 11:16:23 am »

You could add some gypsum to water to dissolve well, then do a little experiment adding sulfated water to a pint.

I was wondering if I could just add the gypsum directly to the pint, but I'll try the dissolving idea. Thanks!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 11:38:44 am »

I was wondering if I could just add the gypsum directly to the pint, but I'll try the dissolving idea. Thanks!

I would try and get a high ppm dissolved, so that you don't dilute the beer too much when you add the solution. Though I am now thinking it might be too much dilution. Another thing is to put some gypsum in a bottle, add the beer, cap it so you can shake to disolve. Let it settle down for a day or so, then taste.

Let us know if this works.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 11:49:08 am »
Let us know if this works.
Yes, please do.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
Soapy off flavor
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 12:38:18 pm »
I may try filling a corny nd letting it dissolve. I was thinking the gypsum would dissolve better in beer than water due to the lower pH.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 12:51:39 pm »
For as little as you're using I wouldn't worry about it.  I would do some initial tests in a glass and stir it in.  Stir a non-gypsum sample for a control (in case the control seems less soapy after you knock out some CO2)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 01:01:55 pm »
I have a Rogue Yellow Snow last night and it definitely has a soapy flavor. So I'd say it's coming from the hops and sulfate level of the water. That style of IPA is not how I roll.

Personally, I liked Yellow Snow.  I didn't detect the off flavors you noted.  I see from scanning some of the reviews that some people seemed to not like it, but they all seemed to question its freshness*.  How fresh was it?

Not that I have any agenda when it comes to getting people to like Rogue (or any other) beer.  I just personally found that one tasty, and wonder why the pDev (13.65) is so high on that particular brew, and why some people seem to love it, other tend to dislike it pretty strongly.  Is it the hops?  Freshness?  Something else?

*caveat: n=pretty small
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 01:03:32 pm by alcaponejunior »