General Category > General Homebrew Discussion

Soapy off flavor

(1/9) > >>

majorvices:
My last 2 IPAs have both had a soapy off flavor. I realize that this can be caused by autolysis but I don't think this is the case. The only thing different I did in these last 2 recipes was swap our cascades for centennial since I was out. The cascades weren't super fresh but they smelled fine.

Anyone have any ideas?

davidgzach:
Any change in sanitizing/rinsing process?  Did you repitch slurry?  That's all I got.

Dave

majorvices:
They were from two different pitches - in fact, I switched yeast strains on the last one. Definitely not a contamination flavor I am picking up.

troybinso:
I think some hops come off as a little soapy. Maybe the floral aroma of the cascades smells a little soapy.

erockrph:

--- Quote from: troybinso on January 10, 2013, 08:25:06 AM ---I think some hops come off as a little soapy. Maybe the floral aroma of the cascades smells a little soapy.

--- End quote ---

Sometimes a particular grain/hop combo will bring out a weird flavor. I recently did a Riwaka IPA and ended up using CaraMunich III for my crystal malt. I ended up getting a very distinct sunflower seed flavor that seemed to be coming from a combo of some savory notes from the hops and graininess from the malt. Maybe the floral notes of the hops is combining with something else (grain bill, water chemistry, yeast byproduct, etc.) to end up with something that seems soapy in the finished beer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version