General Category > Beer Recipes

Thoughts on a Rye Amber?

<< < (3/4) > >>

erockrph:

--- Quote from: a10t2 on January 10, 2013, 05:41:17 PM ---Yeah, it wasn't at all clear that I meant 15 grams *of each*. So ~1.1 oz at whirlpool and dry hop, for a 5.5 gal batch. That's half of what I'd typically use in an IPA.

--- End quote ---

That's 1/3 what I use for a 3-gallon batch of IPA. This makes me feel like I have a hop problem...

a10t2:
Totally forgot to update this... I brewed the recipe more or less as written but called an audible and switched the CTZ back to Centennial. FG ended up at 1.011, which I think helped keep it from being syrupy. It was quite good, but still too much rye for my tastes. I personally would probably go with 10% next time. I really started enjoying it once the rye flavor started to mellow - i.e. the last three pints.

denny:
10%??  Jeez, just leave it out!  ;)

majorvices:
I am brewing a contract rye right now for a local pub. The recipe came from a local homebrewer and it is less hoppy than I expected or thought it should have been but turned out really great. You could clearly taste the rye. Got me thinking maybe a lot of rye beers are a little out of balance....

redbeerman:

--- Quote from: a10t2 on May 29, 2013, 04:54:20 PM ---Totally forgot to update this... I brewed the recipe more or less as written but called an audible and switched the CTZ back to Centennial. FG ended up at 1.011, which I think helped keep it from being syrupy. It was quite good, but still too much rye for my tastes. I personally would probably go with 10% next time. I really started enjoying it once the rye flavor started to mellow - i.e. the last three pints.

--- End quote ---

Good call.  Did you leave the Willamette out too?  Not a big fan, personally.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version