General Category > Beer Recipes

Thoughts on a Rye Amber?

<< < (2/4) > >>

jeffy:
The "tinny" flavor of the willamette hops will complement the rye, but I still think you need 20%.
What is "Xtal"?

blatz:

--- Quote from: jeffy on January 10, 2013, 05:22:19 PM ---What is "Xtal"?

--- End quote ---

"crys"tal

just like Xmas...

jeffy:

--- Quote from: blatz on January 10, 2013, 05:24:16 PM ---
--- Quote from: jeffy on January 10, 2013, 05:22:19 PM ---What is "Xtal"?

--- End quote ---

"crys"tal

just like Xmas...

--- End quote ---

I get it.  Thanks, Paul.

a10t2:

--- Quote from: blatz on January 10, 2013, 05:20:35 PM ---15gm = ~.5oz roughly, right?
--- End quote ---

Yeah, it wasn't at all clear that I meant 15 grams *of each*. So ~1.1 oz at whirlpool and dry hop, for a 5.5 gal batch. That's half of what I'd typically use in an IPA.

Edit: I just got home and checked my recipe, and it's actually 40 g (~1.4 oz) per addition.

--- Quote from: jeffy on January 10, 2013, 05:22:19 PM ---I still think you need 20%.
--- End quote ---

It seems like most recipes are in the 15-25% range (Denny's RIPA is ~17%), and I know that a lot of commercial examples are too much for me, so I wanted to hit the low end of the range and bump it up next time if needed.

Mostly I'm wondering if other adjustments to the specialty malts and/or hops might highlight the rye.

goschman:
My rye APA has 15% and after a couple weeks of conditioning it is barely noticeable in my opinion. I have never done a rye beer with less IBUs but it seems like the bitterness from the hops and rye kind of blend together to where you cannot tell which is which. I am sure this is not the experience of most....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version