Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer Tasting - Suggestions?  (Read 5618 times)

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
Re: Beer Tasting - Suggestions?
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 01:10:29 pm »
My wife is a tiny thing who drinks pretty much only my 70+ IBU, 8+% ABV beers.  When I brought home a 10%, 100+ IBU IIPA and warned her about it, her response was pretty much "so what?".  Now, she's not a heavy drinker, but she likes the flavorful, bitter beers.  And many of the women beer drinkers I know around here are like that.  So I wouldn't make any gender based decisions.  Just get a variety of good beers and you should have something that will cover everyone.

+1  my wife loves the uber hoppy and the uber stouty.  hard to pigeonhole what a lady will drink now-a-days.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline mtbrewer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2010, 01:27:02 pm »
My wife is a tiny thing who drinks pretty much only my 70+ IBU, 8+% ABV beers.  When I brought home a 10%, 100+ IBU IIPA and warned her about it, her response was pretty much "so what?".  Now, she's not a heavy drinker, but she likes the flavorful, bitter beers.  And many of the women beer drinkers I know around here are like that.  So I wouldn't make any gender based decisions.  Just get a variety of good beers and you should have something that will cover everyone.

+1  my wife loves the uber hoppy and the uber stouty.  hard to pigeonhole what a lady will drink now-a-days.

My wife is the same way. A local brewery(closed now) made some great beers. One was so-so, an amber, it was the one that most of the bmc crowd liked. I think it was a good gateway beer to get people on track to what good beer is. I would start at the low end of the spectrum and progress.

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2010, 01:28:37 pm »
Is Duvel hoppy? How would you describe it? Wait, that's dumb. I'll just pick some up and find out.

Good idea. You can't go wrong with Duvel. It's a clean, fairly dry, well-balanced beer. It's one of my wife's favorites and a must for accompanying grilled tuna melts.

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2010, 01:54:28 pm »
Ok, so Duvel seems to be a good choice. Any opinions on the rest? Are there better choices for the style or other must-haves I haven't thought of?
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2010, 03:12:15 pm »
A couple ounces is more than enough for a taste.
There are many different types of beers than most people know about.
I would have an American Light lager and a Guiness stout. Ask them which one has more calories - they are about the same. The dark is strong theory out the window.

This is a great idea for what else to have.  I liked the list you put together too Nate.
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline tankdeer

• Brewer
  • Portland, OR
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2010, 04:06:44 pm »
Duvel is more hoppy than malty, but in general it's extremely well balanced. I would think it would appeal to white wine drinkers, as it has something of a Chardonay character to it. Wierd that I love Duvel yet hate Chardonay. ;)

But yeah, I agree with everybody. Just go for a good selection that covers the spectrum. Small samples are better as long as they can get more of something that they like more.

I see that you have a lot of imports on your list, and I'm guessing it's less of an issue on the East coast than the West, but I would be at least a little concerened with freshness. Unfortunately a lot of the imports are past their prime by the time we get there here. The Helles and ESB on your list would make me the most worried. And make sure you buy your PU in cans - world of difference.

Personally I would mix more craft beer in there too. Maybe a 50/50 mix of craft and imports. Let them know that there is good beer being made locally as well as in EU.

If you really want to thrown them for a loop, throw some Hitachino's Nest in there. Most people don't expect good craft beer from Japan. ;D
No TV and no beer make Homer something something...

Offline novabrew

• Cellarman
  • Springfield, VA
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2010, 04:28:13 pm »
I would add an amber and a brown ale, otherwise it looks good.

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2010, 04:43:52 pm »
The helles and ESB are both usually fine. The PU is what usually has issues, for obvious reasons.

I went with imports for two reasons: First, I wanted iconic representations of classic styles. Second, it's typically easier to find imports than craft brew around here, especially in bars. Seems like the craft brews people want to carry around here are the odd ducks - bourbon barrel winter warmers, pumpkin beers, fruity beers, etc. I can't pretend to understand the distro situation here, but it's not exactly beer mecca. So I figured it made sense to sample things they could actually find if they wanted.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline tankdeer

• Brewer
  • Portland, OR
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2010, 04:47:46 pm »
Fair enough. Well if you're going to bars, it may be out of your hands, but if you have the option, get PU in cans - no skunk!  ;D
No TV and no beer make Homer something something...