Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Coconut Extract  (Read 9745 times)

Offline bwana

• Cellarman
Coconut Extract
« on: January 15, 2013, 11:01:58 am »
Hi all. My wife has been after me to brew a Coconut Stout. I am planing to brew her a five gallon batch this weekend. My question is how much extract to use and when to use it. Primary? Keg? I appreciate your help!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Coconut Extract
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 11:05:19 am »
Add it to taste when you keg the beer.  Add a little, taste, adjust as necessary.  Alternately, pour 4 2-4 oz. samples of the beer.  Dose each with a different, measured amount of extract.  Taste and decide which you like best, then scale that amount of extract up to the batch size.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 11:06:18 am »
I would do the keg.  Start with a measured sample and add drops until you are satisified, then extrapolate that to the full batch and add to the keg.

edit:  yeah...what Denny said ( sneaking in under the wire :) )
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 11:26:40 am »
I do what denny describes. There are 48 teaspoons in a cup and 52 12oz beers in 5 gallons.  So I dose 1tsp in 12oz of beer. Adjust up or down, then extrapolate (if you like 1/2 tsp in 12oz, then use 1/2 cup in 5gal).  You can adjust the math to dose smaller portions too.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline bwana

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 11:31:28 am »
Thank you for the help! Take care!

Offline anthony

• Brewer
  • Hoppy to help!
    • Triptych
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 09:27:16 pm »
Make sure you spring for the actual coconut extract and not the imitation stuff. The imitation stuff makes your beer taste like sun tan lotion.

Offline s rails

• Cellarman
  • Clovis, CA
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 10:03:10 pm »
I've made a coconut stout before.  My solution was to lower the alcohol a bit and add Malibu Rum when I kegged.  Came out perfect!  I used the whole bottle but you can try blending in a glass to see how much you think it needs.
Sean Railing
"Drink Beer, Be Happy, Live Longer"

Fermenting: 
Rye Pale Ale
Kegged or Bottled:
Bock, Bitter, ESB, Dubbel,  Baltic Porter, Unblended Lambic, Sanctification Clone, American Barleywine

Member San Joaquin Worthogs (Admin Vice President 2014)

Offline bwana

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 10:45:20 am »
I've made a coconut stout before.  My solution was to lower the alcohol a bit and add Malibu Rum when I kegged.  Came out perfect!  I used the whole bottle but you can try blending in a glass to see how much you think it needs.
Interesting Idea! Has anyone else used this method?

Offline s rails

• Cellarman
  • Clovis, CA
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 10:23:16 pm »
I have made my coconut stout twice using the Malibu Rum method.  If you do the math in a 5 gallon batch it doesn't add that much more alcohol.  I like a half of a 750 bottle for a more subtle coconut flavor and aroma; but my wife likes the whole bottle.  I think she wants to know she's drinking something with coconut.  I tried extracts, but just didn't get the amount she liked in it.  It has made me realize I could use any fairly neutral flavored alcohol (i.e. vanilla vodka) to add a flavor to a beer.  I haven't experimented with any others yet but it is an option.  I think you should do whatever you want to get the flavor you are looking for.  We're homebrewers...we don't need no stinking rules.
Sean Railing
"Drink Beer, Be Happy, Live Longer"

Fermenting: 
Rye Pale Ale
Kegged or Bottled:
Bock, Bitter, ESB, Dubbel,  Baltic Porter, Unblended Lambic, Sanctification Clone, American Barleywine

Member San Joaquin Worthogs (Admin Vice President 2014)

Offline bwana

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 09:06:08 am »
I have made my coconut stout twice using the Malibu Rum method.  If you do the math in a 5 gallon batch it doesn't add that much more alcohol.  I like a half of a 750 bottle for a more subtle coconut flavor and aroma; but my wife likes the whole bottle.  I think she wants to know she's drinking something with coconut.  I tried extracts, but just didn't get the amount she liked in it.  It has made me realize I could use any fairly neutral flavored alcohol (i.e. vanilla vodka) to add a flavor to a beer.  I haven't experimented with any others yet but it is an option.  I think you should do whatever you want to get the flavor you are looking for.  We're homebrewers...we don't need no stinking rules.
Thank you for the information!

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 09:18:53 am »
Why not add real coconut to the keg?