Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: "House" Yeast Strain  (Read 11395 times)

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
Re: "House" Yeast Strain
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 07:54:04 am »
What I want to say is: Learn your yeast and try different temperatures. Learn how to harvest and handle your yeast with your equipment.

I've heard this advice many times before. For the most part, I've stopped experimenting with new yeast and stuck to repeatedly using 3 or 4 strains (1056, 1214, 1968, and 3711, if you're interested).

I LOVE 1056 because its damn-near bullet proof and can be repitched several times, but it is a PITA to get clear (usually I get one or two 'brilliant' pints before the keg kicks).

OTOH I love 1968 for its ester production in milds/bitters, but I haven't experimented with it enough to find its limits (performance at lower temps, performance after multiple pitches). Not so much concerned with ester profile in pale/IPA/browns, since FW uses it throughout their lineup.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 10:56:04 pm »
Leos, I need to visit your taproom soon. Need to discuss lager brewing!

Me too. But that is just to drink your beer.

Me too! For both! :)

Give yourself a day or two more and stop by Tribute and a trip to Oso, Redeye and
Bull Falls.

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 11:08:47 pm »
You can bank you propierty yeast a wyeast for a small fee and they will grow it for you to a pitchable dose. This all costs some money but they clean up the yeast and store it for you so it my work for you.

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 11:32:43 pm »
Leos, I need to visit your taproom soon. Need to discuss lager brewing!

Me too. But that is just to drink your beer.

Me too! For both! :)

Give yourself a day or two more and stop by Tribute and a trip to Oso, Redeye and
Bull Falls.

My rough plan is to hit up both Lazy Monk and Tribute when I go out to MN to visit my wife's family.

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 11:57:39 pm »
Let me know maybe we can save you a few bucks by being the hotel. You got to milk the gots and feed the chickens and ducks. Part of the plan. free beer though.