Author Topic: What were your gateway beers?  (Read 6135 times)

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
    • View Profile
Re: What were your gateway beers?
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 07:12:06 PM »
1994, amstel light and leinenkugel red
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 07:19:49 PM »
Before I turned 21, I had some Bud Light and Corona, and I thought they tasted like crap, so mostly I didn't drink beer. Once I turned 21, and had heard that beer was an acquired taste, I decided that if I was going to drink beer, I was going to drink something with flavor. I started with a Pyramid Apricot Hefeweizen, and then moved towards the darker side before moving towards IPA. Now I enjoy every style of beer (except american light lager, it still tastes like crap).
In a Keg: Flanders Red Ale, Rye Altbier, Cascade/Topaz Pale
Fermenting: Flanders Red, Saison

Offline amh0001

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 07:22:23 PM »
Guinness and then Sierra Nevada pale ale when I moved to la 10 years ago.

These same beer for me when I turned 21....7 years ago

Offline gardencreek

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 08:52:00 PM »
The passion started behind a wood shed with a Rainier we snuck out of my buddies dad's ice box. I was probably 10 or 11 and it was the best thing I ever tasted. After a "few" high school keggers drinking whatever swill we could get someone to buy us, Uncle Sam sent me on a round the world trip. Oh man, Kirin, Tsingtao, OB, Victoria Bitters, Spaten, Black and Tan's at the Bull and Boar, and on and on: the world is a wonderful place - there's beer in it.

Now years later I get to brew my own and have come to believe two fundamental concepts: there's no such thing as too much hops and Sir Isaac Newton didn't know squat about higher gravity...
Water is so much better when it's mixed with barley, hops, and yeast.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 09:12:26 PM »
I was a novice drinker in the very late 90s/early 2000s in college in Dallas. There wasn't really much craft beer to speak of. I usually drank Miller High Life, some 40's and the usual drink was Bud or Bud Lite. We would buy Corona if we wanted a "better" beer. I drank a lot of crappy liquor, too. I dabbled a little in the "dark beer" I could find, which was basically Bass, Fat Tire, Sam Adams, Shiner, Newcastle and Ziegenbach. I went into a store a few times that had a lot of craft beer and I bought a random mix of beers a few times. I was still too much into the idea of beer as an alcohol delivery vehicle to really appreciate them. I had Chimay Red once and really liked it.

I started buying more of the "dark beer" after college and really started to branch out from there.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing but I'm also a lawyer: The Kielich Law Firm

Offline lornemagill

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin/Round Rock, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 09:52:38 PM »
i was turned onto boulevard bully porter and pale ale as well as free state brewerys line of beers in the early 90s in kansas before i turned 21.  i also remember liking sam smiths beers.

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2013, 10:00:17 PM »
About 7 years ago, I found Arrogant Bastard.  That was my gateway.  The ultimate gateway.  I always drank imports or non Bud beer when i turned 21, when I found the Bastard, it was all over!
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2013, 10:06:31 PM »
When I was in college back in 89, the cafeteria would sell after 3 pm. They had Bud and a local, Formosa Dark from Formosa brewery (in the town of Formosa). I was the only one of my cohort who drank it so I drank lots, partly just to be contrary. That and John Labatt Classic which back then was Labatt's all malt premium lager.
I drank Upper Canada Dark a lot too until it was bought out by Sleemans who have since been bought by Saporro

Oh, gotta mention the ORIGINAL Stonehammer from F&M. Beautifully bitter and wonderful but they backed it off to try to broaden the appeal. That was probably about 92 or so. I loved that beer and missed many a class because of it.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 10:09:11 PM by gmac »

Offline smkranz

• Assistant Brewer
  • Maryland
    • View Profile
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2013, 10:35:43 PM »
Ortlieb's ("Vitamin O") was our staple beer for Friday and Saturday night poker games when I was in college (76-80).

The most frequent alternative was Rolling Rock.

When we were feeling flush, someone would spring for some St. Pauli Girl.
Steve Kranz
AHA • BJCP
Midnight Homebrewers' League
Westminster, Maryland
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org

Offline bboy9000

• Assistant Brewer
  • KCMO
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2013, 11:08:33 PM »
We paid our friends older brother for a beer chest of Hamm's Genuine Draft Light which we drank with ice.  The next day we helped his brother fix a lawnmower and he gave us some Guinness Extra Stout from the fridge in the garage, probably thinking we'd hate it.  I haven't drank a beer on ice since.
Brian
mobrewer

Offline bboy9000

• Assistant Brewer
  • KCMO
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2013, 11:13:04 PM »
i was turned onto boulevard bully porter and pale ale as well as free state brewerys line of beers in the early 90s in kansas before i turned 21.  i also remember liking sam smiths beers.

Nice gateway beers!  Bully! And Pale Ale are my "go to"  beers here in KC.  You can't go wrong with Sam Smith's either. 
Brian
mobrewer

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2013, 11:24:34 PM »
The very first time I went (legally) into a liquor store, I bought a six pack of Railyard Black and Tan, from the now extinct Broadway Brewing (later became flying Dog) in Denver. It was 2001, and I started brewing a year later.
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
  • Just taking it one brew at a time!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2013, 02:32:03 AM »
It was Shiner Bock for me with a healthy backing of Newcastle on draft when I moved to Texas in '99.
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline erockrph

• Brewmaster General
  • Chepachet, RI
    • View Profile
    • Critical Tastings
Re: Re: What were your gateway beers?
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2013, 07:39:30 AM »
The very first time I went (legally) into a liquor store, I bought a six pack of Railyard Black and Tan, from the now extinct Broadway Brewing (later became flying Dog) in Denver. It was 2001, and I started brewing a year later.

My first legal purchase was a case of mix-a-sixes. I don't remember all the beers, but I know Old Peculier and Ipswich Oatmeal Stout were in the mix.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2013, 08:23:12 AM »
My start was JW Dundee's Honey Brown. Guiness was in the mix too, but the true eye opener was La Trappe's Tripel. I kinda went nuts for the next few years buying and drinking anything Belgian I could find. I have since come to appreciate more of the local beers...
Member, AHA
Member, Brew Brothers of Pikes Peak
BJCP judge# D1248
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.